Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving the XL - Advice

Options
Well, the table is done and I am going to move the Egg probably Friday when this rain gets out of here. Anybody moved an XL into a table yet? I'm thinking I should take the dome off. What say you? I do have my 16 yr old, 6' 200lb nephew and one of his buddies coming help me so that may make it easier.

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I took the dome off when I put my large in it's table.  It was just me and SWMBO and we had no problems, so you and two youngsters should have no problem with the xl.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I second taking the dome off as well.  That's what we did when we switched from a nest to a table.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Might consider picking up a potlifter.  I think the XL is actually more than 200 lbs, but if you remove the innards you may be under the weight.  If you take the dome off I think you will definitely be under.  May be overkill, but they are handy in case you ever need to move it again.  

It seems setting it in the table would be much easier with one of these...avoid smashed/scraped fingers.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You should only need a few beers. The work is done. Since you have a couple of workers that you can pay with BBQ, just take on a supervisory role from a lawn chair.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Tell the teenagers you'll give them a six pack and I bet they will have it in there in no time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Take the innards out of the XL.  You and your nephew could handle that.  I bought my XL as a demo at an eggfest last summer and a buddy and I carried it from my driveway to my back patio, no problem.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

YEMTrey said:
    Take the innards out of the XL.  You and your nephew could handle that.  I bought my XL as a demo at an eggfest last summer and a buddy and I carried it from my driveway to my back patio, no problem.
    +1

I did this by myself for my Dad's Father's Day surprise 2.5 years ago. It was new in box so I just had to move each piece. No innards made it much easier.
  • ccpoulin1
    Options
    I took the dome off my xl, and moved it alone.  I was a few months out of spinal fusion, and had no issues.  I put down a towel so i did not scratch anything.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Options
    Moved my lg from a nest to a 40 inch high counter top & down to the base. Me & a buddy took out the insides. Wasn't nearly as NA as expected.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

We install XL's in tables quite a bit.  Take the top off, remove inside componets.

Lower base into table, this is made difficult with the table hole restricting your grip on this peice...have at least 2 people.

Be careful, good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everybody. I figured with the guts out and the dome off, shouldnt be an issue. More worried about cracking it than anything. Yep, the beers are a given. Cant do anything around the house without beer. I'll let them youngsters do the lifting and I'll do the guiding.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I am a big believer in the potlifter.  It would make moving the XL a snap with just taking the innards out.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

jaydub58 said:
    I am a big believer in the potlifter.  It would make moving the XL a snap with just taking the innards out.
    I disagree here. Have you tried this?  The pot lifter although it is great to carry an Egg for a distance it is not great for lifting high into a table.  Two guys lifting an XL 30/35" off the ground is tougher then you think with a potlifter. Straps are another problem if they will fit into the table opening, getting the straps off the Egg will be another challenge.   Don't see this as an option.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You buy the beer and I'll come over and watch...I'm also a good supervisor.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    If it was me I'd have 2 people to drop the egg down through the table and 2 people underneath to catch it and settle it
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I move my xl several time a year. Take it apart and your nephew should be able to do it by himself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I lined my opening with cardboard and placed my lg by self.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited February 2013
    Options
    If it was me I'd have 2 people to drop the egg down through the table and 2 people underneath to catch it and settle it
    Like the idea, actually you can do it with 2 able bodied adults plus a child like this: place a sturdy stool or milk crate in the hole, the adults first drop the egg to rest on the stool/crate, they then lift the egg from underneath, just enough for the child to remove the support, then drop it in place completely.

If I ever build a table (wood of course), I'll design it with split top and avoid the daunting task of drop the egg into an opening.  It'll be easier for future maintenance too.
    canuckland
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Options
    Take the dome off, I like the xl in that you don't have to take the bands loose to remove the top. I'm going to have to move mine next week for a competition.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I move my LBGE around by myself all the time. You should have no problem with just another dude. Especially if your taking it apart.

XLBGE 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    The Devil rides this afternoon, LOL. Will post pics if there is enough daylight. If not, will post tomorrow. >:)