Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cow Lickin Chilli

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited November -1 in Soups, Stews, Chilis

Ingredients

Olive Oil
1 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck
1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
2 cups Onion (chopped)
1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
1 Tbls. Garlic (minced)
1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 can Rotel
2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
3 Tbls. Chili Powder
1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder
1 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin
1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp. dried Oregano
3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
2 cups Beef Broth
1 cup Dry Red Wine
2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste Wood Chunks 

Instructions

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up). Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil.

Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals. Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels. Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.

Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).

Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees F. Remove bay leaves and dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments

• egret.... i'm going to  use your  formula  for a  chile cook off  at the  local ELKS  club for a   fund raiser......  can  you  give  any secret  advice  ...... to make  me a  winner......??????? i'm  using  bear meat as  the  main source of meat..... plan on sneaking  a  bit  of italian  sausage.... ...  have any  advice?????? ... thanks! ray
  • Greetings egret, I have searched high and low on Long Island and I have yet to find Rotel. Since I can not find it I do not know what is in it. What would be a good substitute and could you tell me what is in it. Thanks.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Here's a link to the RoTel site.

http://www.ro-tel.com/products.jsp

Does anyone know if Ro Tel is available in Canada?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • This is an awesome recipe!  I back off on the heat to make it more family friendly, but it's the best.   The cinnamon and coccoa (along with Rotel) make it unique.  
  • egret
    edited November 2011
    Greetings egret, I have searched high and low on Long Island and I have yet to find Rotel. Since I can not find it I do not know what is in it. What would be a good substitute and could you tell me what is in it. Thanks.
    Hi John,
    It's found in the canned tomato section of most grocery stores. If you can't find it you can substitute a small can of diced tomatoes and a small can of diced green chiles. Here's a pic of Rotel :
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
  • egret
    Greetings egret, I have searched high and low on Long Island and I have yet to find Rotel. Since I can not find it I do not know what is in it. What would be a good substitute and could you tell me what is in it. Thanks.
    Hi John,
    It's found in the canned tomato section of most grocery stores. If you can't find it you can substitute a small can of diced tomatoes and diced green chiles. Here's a pic of Rotel :
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Original
    Well, here's a pic of several of their products! Don't know why it did that!! :-O
  • I was looking for a recipe to fit tomorrow dinner event at my place. I found the Cow Lickin Chili recipe posted Wow! it definitely fits on my signature drink which is spiced cider rum. Thanks for it. The event will definitely be a blast.
    :D
  • This is an awesome recipe!  I back off on the heat to make it more family friendly, but it's the best.   The cinnamon and coccoa (along with Rotel) make it unique.  
    Cinnamon and chocolate are commonly used in mole sauce from Mexico and is used in some TexMex recipes also.  Yes, it's a very good addition to Egret's chili recipe.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I've found Ro-Tel at Waldbaums in Suffolk on LI just recently!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Going to give this one a try tomorrow.  FWIW, i had no problem finding Rotel in WMart in S. Florida.  As a matter of fact, they had several varieties.  Thanks to all who provide help and guidance here! 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    alrighty, i had the best chili i have ever had last evening.  I modified this recipe on the spice side, as my family is sensitive to heat.  (not me though :( )  I cut back on the ancho chili powder, omitted the minched ancho chili's altogether, made sure the jalapeno's had no seeds and did not float any chilis on top while cooking.  The amazing part is that this was just about right for me, and that my family was not around, because it would not have suited their taste.  The flavor profile of this recipe is outstanding!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I made this chili yesterday.  Really good stuff.  A little kick but not too bad.  Mine needed a little more smokey flavor but all in all it was very good.

Garnerville, NY
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174

Okay, I have never made chili, much less attempted it on my BGE. Nor have I ever entered a cooking contest.  Well, I decided to do both on Saturday with Egret's recipe.  30 entries and prizes were awarded for 1st and 2nd.

I placed 2nd and lost to another BGE'er by 2 votes. This chili is really fantastic. Each taste begins with a sweet tastea dn then the individual chilis come in in layers.

Thanks Egret!

• What size dutch oven would you need to make this recipe as is?
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I used a 7qt dutch oven and had a little room to spare.  Could do it in a smaller if you can stir without making a mess.

Garnerville, NY
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    I used a 10 quart and it barely fit. Would like to have a larger one, but it was fine!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Congrats Jscott...that is awesome!  

I have a 5 QT dutch oven and I am able to make this recipe.  I have to really drain everything well and it is brimmin to the top, but it'll fit. 

I'm pretty sure my DO is a 5 QT.  It is a Lodge with a #8 stamped on it, model DOL8 stamped on the bottom.  I don't think the 8 means 8 QT tho. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I modified this chili into a spaghetti sauce tonight, it was awesome, I substituted mushrooms for the beens and did not add any water while cooking to keep the sauce thick.

I imagine the chili is awesome and will probably try it this weekend
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    think i am gonna try this soon.
  • This is on my list of Egging this weekend!
    Beth Hardeeville, South Carolina
  • I am going to do this with the tomatoes that didn't quite get all the way ripe, I am tired of fried green tomatoes so I am thinking this will be a great way to finish them off
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'll be trying this one, sounds great. Never put cocoa powder or cinnamon in chilli, should be interesting.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Been cooking this recipe today. unfortunately couldnt get the ancho chili's at the grocery store and with football starting didnt have time to run anywhere else. I was worried if it would fit in my 5 qt BGE DO, but all ingredients fit and i have 1 inch from the lip. smells amazing
    Woodstock, GA
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

did this today but left out a couple of ingredients to cut back on the heat from the family.. .just pulled it off the egg...

• I made this chili the other day too...it was great!

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Im making this tmrw, cant wait . . . But cocoa powder comes in many forms so what kind do you suggest?  We have hersheys cocoa natural unsweetened at the house now so hoping this works, thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG said: We have hersheys cocoa natural unsweetened at the house now so hoping this works, thanks.
    That's what I have used. I was skeptical of the cocoa and cinnamon but it was very good.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    To cut down on heat, I use one Serrano instead of two. All else fair game - you could even opt for a milder Rotel.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    What kinds of wood do you suggest for smoke? I was thinking about hickory and pecan but I cant really figure out this flavor profile to match, thanks.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”