Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sad day here in my freezer

Well, I've talked about it many a times. We have a cousin that does competition cattle and butchering. My freezer is almost out of hamburger and I'm cooking the remnant cuts of last years cow.

Called him up today wanting to order a half cow butchered in next month and he said he was gonna take a break from it. Might have something this fall or maybe next year.

I'm facing the delema of finding someone else or buying from Kroger ;(

It was super cheap or usually free for us. This is truly a sad day :(

XLBGE 

Comments

• GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    That stinks!!!  Until he gets back into it I would recommend finding someone else over Kroger.
  • Wow I guess it is sad if it were free. Maybe if you would of threw him some change he wouldn't have got out of the business :)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I guess you will now pay for the milk now that the cow is no longer free. Hope you find a good butcher.
  • With beef prices the way they are I would think it would be much cheaper to find another processor of the meat.  At least I know it is where I am and the quality is so much better then grocery store stuff. Good luck and sorry to hear about your supply chain drying up.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • We paid him when needed, the free parts were when my inlaws wanted to split a whole cow and didn't let us pay.

I'm call around cause I really enjoyed the quality, these were "organic" as well and I hate going to the store. It's so nice to have roast, burger and tri tip oh and filets and tbones and ribeyes just in the freezer.

XLBGE 
  • You could go to the packing house he uses and ask around.  Nothing better than beef straight off the cow.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited February 2013
    It should be relatively easy to find local raised beef in your area. I purchase a 1/2 beef every year and a whole hog. Usually runs me $1000 dollars all vacuumed sealed and labeled
  • @browninggold
    That's pretty fair price. Can't beat having it at home

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    There is nothing better than getting meat directly from the farmer/rancher that raised them. I am lucky enough to get grass-fed organic or grass-fed Angus locally. Yum Yum Yum!
  • Recently they opened up a small butcher shop near here.  We have always bought our meats at Sam's Club or a local food chain.  This butcher shop has extra rooms that the owner allows groups to use for meetings.  Since the wife was a steady user of one of the meeting rooms, i told her to buy whatever she could to compensate the use of the room.  First thing she brought home was a chicken.  This chicken didn't look right !!!!   It was small, it was bone white in color, and when i opened it up, it didn't have a bunch of fatty skin hanging off the neck??  The inside was cleaned?  The price was about twenty cents a pound more than the big box stores.  Spatchcocked the chicken -- what a difference!!  SO much in fact i sent her back for another, and had the same results!!  These chickens are locally grown, no hormones and raised on top grade feeds.  So then i had her bring home a pork butt, again locally grown, never frozen.  What a difference in the end result!!  So we learnt to buy locally grown - whenever possible.  It cost a little more, but is is well worth the cost, plus i am helping my local community farmers out.. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    My condolences Mr. Nurse .

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .