Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Law Pizza Adventure

Options
Did pizzas for the in-laws.  Thought we would try something things different.

Pizza one was our basic white dough pepperoni, but with mozzarella instead of our normal mixed cheeses.

Pizza two was whole grain dough with salami.

Pizza three was cheese only, using wonderfully delicious smoked deli Gouda.

Very mixed results.  The basic pizza was good, but I prefer the mixed cheese.  The salami was also good, but I do not like the whole grain dough.

The (expensive) Gouda was a bust.  The flavor of the cheese was not good.

Lesson learned; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Going to try to attach the, not so good, video of me tossing the dough.  I like this because it creates a thin middle and a nice dough ring.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Was that on your diet, Doc? Looks good regardless. Gotta try new things sometimes. Live and learn.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Nope, neither are the cheese burgers tonight, but when The Spouse orders you must comply.  Resistance is futile.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Well the darned video won't load.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You're married to the Borg? You have made interesting life decisions, Doc.....
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    They look good, sorry the Gouda was No Gouda!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited February 2013
    Options
    They look like really good pizzas.

We have experimented with different cheese as well.  What we like best is fresh mozzarella broken up over the sauce and a quality aged parmesan just lightly sprinkled.  Like to bake it hot enough that the mozzarella caramelizes along the edges of the puddles created by the broken chunks.  We started over loading the pizzas but then learned that less truly is better.

Gerhard
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I had somewhat of a bust on pizza for lunch yesterday. Had some leftover crushed tomatoes I used over polenta for V_Day. Used those as my base instead of sauce. Made for a runny pizza. My CI skillet pizzas, I usually use tomatoes as the base instead of the sauce... works great for the skillet but too soggy on regular pie.

Yours looks great Doc. If those are a bust I would love your normal pies.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Try artichoke hearts marinated in olive oil for a topping. They add a fabulous flavor to the pies. One of our favorites.
    Mark Annville, PA