Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello, been lurking for several months and egging for about a year

Hello, I've enjoyed learning from this forum! It seems that any question that I have had about using my egg has always ended up being answered by someone in this forum.

Up until buying my egg I was a gas griller. I had looked at eggs and been given the sales pitch about how the egg could be ready to go in about the same amount of time as a gas grill and thought to myself that the salesperson was full of it! SWMBO got tired of hearing me talk about getting an egg, so she practically made me go buy it just so I'd shut up! Boy am I glad she did! I was not sad to see that stainless gas grill with all of its bells and whistles ride off into the sunset in the back of its new owners pickup truck!

Now I'm hooked! I'll never go back to a gas or any other kind of grill!

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome! Looking forward to some of your posts and cooking ideas.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you got yourself a keep in SWMBO'ed. Must be easy to O her with demands like that.

We do love to see pics, so make sure you start taking some and share with us.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    If there are no pics - it didn't happen.   :P
  • @smayjr I agree with you! Bridezilla told me for 6 months or longer to buy an egg, but I liked my old charcoal grill and didn't want to make a change. 

Finally this past Christmas I decided to buy myself one, and I can't believe how much I love it. 

I should have done it years ago. Every weekend when I am Egging she reminds me that I could have been doing that a long time ago if I had just listened to her! 

I kept my old grill though. I needed somewhere to store my grids and plate setter when I am not using them! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome. Join in and share.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Welcome aboard-it's a game changer as you have already figured out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

Here is a pic I took last night of the first "trial by fire" of my homemade temperature control setup. I mostly used stuff I had already in my shop such as the stainless sheet metal, 12vdc power supply and computer fan. I bought the PID controller off of ebay for $20, it came with the thermocouple. It has an auto tune feature that set the PID parameters. I haven't done a lo n slo cook with it yet but I did test it on the egg with a set point of 305*F it held it +/- a couple of degrees for about an hour before I shut it down. I need to do more testing at lower temps, I only chose 305* cause that's where it was when I started testing. I'm posting this from my phone, so I apologize in advance if the picture doesn't post correctly or is the wrong size or whatever.
  • Okay, I'm not sure why the pictures is sideways? It wasn't when I chose it from the Gallery on my phone... And why does it appear twice in the post? What did I do wrong? Dang newbie!