Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic Shoulder, but not pulled...?

Options
AlbertaEgger
AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

So the pulled pork on the LBGE was a hit last night, I have a 10 lb picnic shoulder for next weekend, however the wife would like it so we can slice for this meal instead of pulled.

325F - Indirect for 6-7 hours, until internal is 170F?

Should I brine, or inject, or just rub and cook?

And should I cut the skin with slots before rubbing?

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Sounds good.

I would remove the skin but leave some fat.

No need to brine or inject.

I like to insert pieces of garlic after making deep incisions with a poultry knife.

Will i not get a crispy skin with a 325 cook? Or do yuo pull the skin just to get more from the rub?
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I slice shoulders regularly. Typically I like to inject and marinate overnight with mojo Criollio. A good 4 days in brine on a cut that big is also nice.

I find that pork cooked to 170 isn't that magical half way point. It is actually the worst part of the journey. It's hot enough to have squeezed a lot of water out. But not hot enough to have melted enough of the collagen and fat to make it moist again. I'd either cook it only to 150 or bring it up to 185 - 190. There is mild resistance when probing it is ready. I've done both. 150 is a hell of a lot easier.

As many times as I have kept the skin it makes carving which is already a challenge just preposterous. Take it off. Cut it up. Fry it. Salt it. Serve along side.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I have a post about a cured shoulder on here. I posted the slices so you can get some idea.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    I will have a look for it. Thanks.