Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Phoenicia Night

I didn't quite know what to name this thread. Went to Phoenicia, which is a specialty store on the west side of Houston. They carry all kinds of Mediterranenan foods, fresh baked breads, bakery items, etc. as well as some other European foods. I finally found some tipo 00 flour to make pizzas with (without having to pay an arm and a leg for it!), but that's for another time.

Picked up a bunch of goodies - I admit I went a little nuts, because that place is so cool. Its hard to stop at a just a few things. Came home with different kinds of bread, some fresh feta cheese, fresh baked Persian cookies of some kind, meat pies, kibbe, and lotsa other things. The main protein for the night was going to be kababs made out of chicken and beef:

I wasn't about to pan fry these guys, so I loaded them on to skewers and fired up the Egg.

Grilled these at about 500°F with the lid closed. They didn't take long to cook. The aroma of the spices and meat was beautiful!

All done:

Threw some Armenian bread on to warm up:

And then made up my dinner plate - chicken and beef kababs, fresh feta, homemade tzatziki sauce, ikra (spicy eggplant), dolmeh, and the bread.

The kababs were amazing, some of the best I have had or made. They were very moist, spicy and garlicky. The Mediterranean or Persian style kababs I have had in the past have had a lot of flavor, but have been somewhat mild. Not these ones - the spiciness was just right (I prefer a little more heat). It was a pretty easy meal to put together, and very enjoyable.

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Looks good, what kind of skewers are those? Look weapons grade

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Want those skewers now. Egg close fine on them?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • @caliking, where do you live on the west side? Cinco ranch here. Making some kofta kabobs as we speak and was looking for some bread this weekend to replicate what we've had at Mediterranean restaurants. I should have known - Phoenicia looks like the place.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks good, what kind of skewers are those? Look weapons grade

Haha! Those skewers were bought about 2 years ago and were depressingly underused until I figured out how perfect they were for the egg. These types are more common in Mediterranean restaurants and i really like them for ground meats. They were about $2 each when i bought them.

• caliking
    Chubbs said:
    Want those skewers now. Egg close fine on them?
    Yep. Just a slight gap, but it did not seem to matter much. i wasn't aiming for a specific temp - I think it ended up being 450ish on the dome thermo.

• caliking
    @caliking, where do you live on the west side? Cinco ranch here. Making some kofta kabobs as we speak and was looking for some bread this weekend to replicate what we've had at Mediterranean restaurants. I should have known - Phoenicia looks like the place.
    I live in Pearland, but was way west from home running some errands, so decided i was long overdue for a Phoenicia visit. If you go, plan to go for lunch at their deli around the corner, then hop over to the main store. A great way to spend a few hours on a weekend.

The kababs were seriously awesome. Their breadmaking operation is something to see. A conveyor belt brings the breads from the upper level down to the lower level where it gets packaged. They have several different breads from that part of the world - I strongly recommend going if you like that type of food.