Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pizza not a Total Failure

CigarSmokinEgger
CigarSmokinEgger Posts: 213
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum

I have a medium and filled it to the top of the box with lump from GFS (Gordon's Food Service), PS legs up (indirect), ss grill, inverted pie pan then the 12" BGE pizza stone.  Once the coals were lit and I was above 500, I placed in the PS, grill and stone then stabalized temp at 600, then held for 30 minutes before throwing in the pie.  As I got ready to toss her in, my temp started to drop and there was nothing I could do to maintain 600 any longer.  I got the pie in and cooked as best I could.  Once done, I noted the coals were just about gone.  I was really surprised at how quickly they burned up at that temp and only for about 2 hours. 

Is this normal?  Is there anything I can do about the "short" burn time?

I figure I need to get the stone higher in the dome so I'll try that next time.

Turned out crispier than I wanted as I didn't have the color on the rim when the crust was done but I was happy about being able to launch a 12" pie onto a 12" plate with no issues.  I went with cheese only so if it was a total failure I wouldn't be wasting ingredients.  All in all, not a bad cook, defintitely a learning experience and hopefully soon I can nail down this process!

Mark

Comments

• Sure looks good, not sure what GFS lump is but only putting lump up to the fire box at those high temps will burn up lump pretty fast. I use royal oak red bag and always fill up to the fire ring and have cooked pies for couple hours plus an hour to preheat everything. I would just fill it up a little more with lump. Your setup sounds fine but yes, higher in the dome will get a more well done topping.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    I've found what happens is this; the burning lump is obstructing the vent holes at the bottom of the firebox. This happens as the fire gets hotter and the coals begin to settle. This happens to me all the time. Your pics don't show a bad pizza what so ever.

Although we'd like to cook pizza at a real high temp in a Medium, cooking at 400- 450 at necessarily a bad thing; you'll replace less gaskets if you do.

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    edited February 2013
    I agree, on my medium I run around 450-475 for pizza, saves my gasket and lump. Also, I sometimes have to use a wiggle stick to maintain higher temps.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Don't worry about the gasket, it's just a matter of time before you install a Rutland.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    That looks like a great pie, anyway!
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Thanks for the comments and feedback, much appreciated!

I did another pie last night as I always make enough dough for 2, 310g skins.  I totally changed the setup instead of sticking to the scientific method and change one thing at a time but a good learning experience anyway.

Went direct with PS legs down, then an inverted 2.5" springform pan, then the BGE pizza stone.  Baked off this time at 500 degrees after a 30 minute soak at temperature.  The stone was as high into the dome as possible without having the end of the temperature probe sunk into the pie :)

I like this setup a little better but still need to adjust the temperature as the cook time was still too long for the color/crust texture as I'd like.  All in all a better pie than the first and am looking towards nailing this whole thing down!  I'm still thinking about getting my 1.25" soapstone cut down to fit the egg, I think this may help a lot as it works amazing in the oven!

• I used to love to crank it up to 650 - 700 degrees. Now 550 is pretty much my tip top temp. Works great for steak and pizza and like an earlier post said, a lot easier on your gasket. I think your pizza looks great btw. 
  • Don't worry about the gasket, it's just a matter of time before you install a Rutland.
    Or just don't use one at all.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."