Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig, Woo, or something else?

Options
2»

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

OK, my 2 cents.

I have always maintained, if money is not the drive, get 'em all.

I have the PSwoo3 which brings it to the felt level

PSwoo3 has the spider for low and sear, also will hold a wok real stable and holds the platesetter when I know I have to remove it to to do a reverse sear. Nice to have handles up high and not get burn marks on your arms. Nice to lift the wok out as well. So far, the safest route. And LOW maintenence.

Have the swing grate, which incidentally rusts like a SOB as it is carbon steel, but is excellent for two layered cooks like wings and ribs. I do use it. Franco offered to buy it back but i declined. Its another tool. It has its own problems, like the screws for height adjustment and swing or changing the height rod, is not an option available to you when HOT. In fact, even when cold, as its all burnt and stuck. In the "heat" of a cook, if your rig aient right, and the swing rack is hot, SOL ! try workin with a black allen wrench and a burnt and impossible to find nut head to unscrew and change the rig . esp in the dark.

Oh! I have done it and got burnt in both my arms. For what it costs, I dont care. I will play with it. No liability to Franco. :) It is a neat concept.

I have not tried the AR, but am going to, soon. My quest for the grail will not be complete without doing that.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have the PSWoo3 and really like it. When I want something above the felt line I just put in my cast iron grate and then set the Woo on top of that. Gets the cooking grate very high. Perfect for chicken. I don't think the Woo3 gets enough love. It is great for the price and works with things most of us already have.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • setdahook
    Options
    It seem if you take care of the swing rack your are fine keep it clean once in awhile also oil it. As far as adjusting the rod height while hot where welder gloves and no problem. 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    All the responses are awesome. Thanks! From what I've read, I think the swing grate is an awesome tool, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Also, I don't want every cook to be on carbon steel or cast iron. I like a standard stainless steel grid for all but searing. The Egg already has great insulation, and cast iron retains heat and just makes it more difficult to cool down, if needed. I already have a spider and a small cast iron grate that meets all searing needs. So. Now, I'm down to the pswoo or the adjustable rig. I have an email out to Tom to see what all I'd need with the adjustable rig and how much it'd cost me. For some reason, I'm just hesitant to stop using my platesetter. I think that's my only mental hangup. I don't know if I'm sentimental, so frugal that I hate feeling like I wasted money, or if I'm just a massive pain in the a$$ and I'm just realizing it. :-O I'll probably go with the adjustable rig in the end. Tom was wonderfully helpful on my last purchase, his products have been of great quality so far, and I know the adjustable rig will allow me to do everything I want to do on my Egg. The sliding rack system is awesome. Seeing that on a YouTube video might have pushed me over the edge. That just looks very cool, and useful.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan to fit your needs. 

For what it is worth I don't tighten the set screws on the shaft of the swing rack all the way and have not had any issues. I take it out (when cool) all the time and yesterday started the ribs without the top rack and put it in mid cook with no problem. The only time I had a small amount of rust was after my pizza cook when I let it burn at over 700° while I was eating and had made multiple pizzas which makes perfect sense as there was nothing cooking directly on the rack. A couple coats of oil and making 20 lbs of chicken wings for the superbowl and its seasoned great again. I usually don't spray or wipe it down after cooks, so maybe it is the Oklahoma climate but I haven't had any issues. 

Anyways I always say I get the best eggcessory that fits your needs, all of the ceramic grill store stuff is great and I have a few pieces. I just chose the CGW swing rack for my multilevel needs doesn't mean everyone has too. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.