Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Mark Lump

Options
Has anyone used Grill Mark Lump Charcoal? I found it on sale at our local Ace for $9.99 per 20 lb bag (I think its actually 17.8 lb bags or something odd). Wanted to hear some reviews before stocking up...

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Google naked whiz. Go to the the lump charcoal database and type it in to see if NW has reviewed it. I have never heard if it
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ben4unc
    Options

It is Royal Oak.

• Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks Chubbs. I checked Naked Whiz but did not see it. I read on another forum the same thing that ben4unc just posted...that it is cleverly disguised as Royal Oak.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    The stuff is regularly priced at ACE (which I tend to think is slightly high on most items) at $17 per bag.  At $9.99/bag for Royal Oak...(again disguised as Grill Mark) I'll take my chances and will report back!

On a side note, I've also found Cowboy lump at another Ace in central Indiana that is every day priced at $12.99 for a 20 lb bag.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I use both quite frequently, descent pieces in each bag the grill mark seems to get hotter faster than cowboy with a fairly neutral smell once clean burning. My ace always has the grill mark at 9.99 and cowboy at 14.99. Give the bags a quick flip upside down if you hear a lot of noise it means a lot of shake. For something I'm gonna burn I don't get too picky. I did pizza at 600 for about to hours threw on the dft and dropped it to 300 for about 10 hours after and still had half a load of grill mark. I don't mind it at all.