Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

School me on turbo beef ribs

Picked up some beef ribs last night at the store. Gonna try and do a turbo with them this weekend as I have to work and won't be able to go low and slow. It was a package of 4 beef ribs, already cut individually, not a whole rack. Looks to have pretty good meat to them. So time and temp? Usually with ribs, I look for the pullback and the bend test, but since these are already cut bending won't be an option, should I shoot for a temp? Foil at all or spritz? I've only done beef ribs once, so this is a new one for me. Thanks in advance for the tips.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Set egg to turbo.

Add beef ribs.

Remove when done.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited February 2013
    Turbo Beef Ribs
    Indirect 350. Pull membrane, Rub-mustard-rub, cherry wood. Used coffee rub. EASY....
    Jason these cooked very fast, lucky I checked them at 50 min's and found done. (((not sure if the mustard is needed at all, but i used it))) Now these were done in the Mini, I would think a little longer if in the Large (not sure why I think that?)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Don't know if you have the time, but these are about 3 hours and the best I've ever done. Beef ribs are now a regular item on our menu.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/beef-back-ribs-aka-dino-bones.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I usually do the meaty single beef back ribs at 350F. Don't know that that is quite "turbo," but they usually take no more than 3 hours, not including time to get the Egg up to temp w. clear smoke. Beef back ribs are just steak meat on a bone. I want the outside to get crisped, and smokey, but leave the inside no more cooked than medium. Here's a suggestion. Do a sort of reverse sear. put them in raised over a drip pan, at 450 for 15 minutes. Then shut down to 350, and foil for about 30. Then unfoil and discard the fat that has collected in the pouch. Finish back on the grill.

The biggest problem I have w. beef back ribs is that they tend to be greasy. (probably feel that way since the fat congeals around body temperature) I prefer doing them for a longer time just to let the fat drip out. As a counter to the greasy feeling, I serve w. a vinegary sauce. A decentcommercial brand is Stubb's Original.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Set egg to turbo. Add beef ribs. Remove when done.

I went outside and I can find this turbo button on my egg, I do have a supercharger one though.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Are these braised in CI, or put on the rack?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If you have single cut ribs, keep an eye on them - they may dry out quicker. I pull them when the IT in a thick meaty part is 185-200 depending on how much I feel like chewing that day.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I would do them 350F indirect with wood and rub of choice. If you separate the ribs before cooking you will have more meat area eggsposed to heat and they should cook in an hour or so depending on amount of meat.  I would spritz them in 20 minute intervals, vinegar, apple cider, water. or orange juice if you like sweet or soy sauce for an oriental flavor.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=907369&catid=1
  • I saw a whole rack I'm pick up and try. Post how it goes griff

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Was told better to get NON Cyro-wrap as a rule. Non cryo-wrap is mostly more fresh and will have more meat on the bone as done locally by butcher than shipped in. Passing on 2cents given to be by butcher.

• I rub them down with some "Kikkoman's" Teriyaki, let that dry, then some mustard, and springkle them with Bad Bryon's Butt Rub.  Let them come to room temperature while i get the egg stabilized at 275 degrees - indirect at gasket level.  Close the lid and don't mess with them until about four hours into the cook.  I use the toothpick method --  when the toothpick slides thru the meat area without any resistance -- they are ready.  I serve them with sauce on the side. They do reach a "stall' around 175 degrees, and can get too tough if pulled early, so it is proper for the egg operator to test one before removing them..
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:
    If you have single cut ribs, keep an eye on them - they may dry out quicker. I pull them when the IT in a thick meaty part is 185-200 depending on how much I feel like chewing that day.
    My grandfather uses that same though process when deciding whether or not to put his dentures in. 
  • Mickey said:

Was told better to get NON Cyro-wrap as a rule. Non cryo-wrap is mostly more fresh and will have more meat on the bone as done locally by butcher than shipped in. Passing on 2cents given to be by butcher.

Thanks

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    caliking said:
    My grandfather uses that same though process when deciding whether or not to put his dentures in. 

=)) Good one.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.