Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What does a quarter turn mean?

Larrymac
Larrymac Posts: 103
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I hear it mentioned in several threads so I tried googling-- couldn't find info.
Still a neophyte with the BGE so please excuse these elementary questions.

maybe I should be asking how or when to do it ?

Comments

• Consider it in another term -- cooking the side of a roast -- not just the top and bottom...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013

I am guessing what you are talking about is grill marks to get the diamond marks on food. This is for presentation only. Most doing on CI's (cast iron).... Just not important to me but lots of people are for it.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think perhaps that refers to when you are grilling something like steaks, some people will rotate the steaks 90 degrees or so in order to get grill marks that go both ways.  It makes sort of a hash pattern (#) on the steak.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Mickey beat me to it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I've never done it because I don't like opening the lid more than needed. You also get the best results with the cast iron grid. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    90 degree turn.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I'm obsessed with grill marks although I'm certain their is no REAL affect on the taste of the meat.  BUT, as they say, "You eat with your eyes first."  In that, I am a firm believer.

Use your tongs or spatula as a guide, pick-up the meat with the utensil perpendicular to your body, then turn it a 1/4 turn, or until the utensil is horizontal to your body.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Larrymac
    Mickey said:

I am guessing what you are talking about is grill marks to get the diamond marks on food. This is for presentation only. Most doing on CI's (cast iron).... Just not important to me but lots of people are for it.

Yes
  • Larrymac

I'm obsessed with grill marks although I'm certain their is no REAL affect on the taste of the meat.  BUT, as they say, "You eat with your eyes first."  In that, I am a firm believer.

Use your tongs or spatula as a guide, pick-up the meat with the utensil perpendicular to your body, then turn it a 1/4 turn, or until the utensil is horizontal to your body.
    When doing a steak would that be 2 turns on each side?
  • Larrymac

I'm obsessed with grill marks although I'm certain their is no REAL affect on the taste of the meat.  BUT, as they say, "You eat with your eyes first."  In that, I am a firm believer.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Larrymac said:

Yes. You'll see some recipes that say something like "grill steak for 60 secs then rotate 90 degrees and grill 60 seconds more. Flip steak and repeat" This would be 4 total. Sme only have you do it on one side(the "presentation" side) so you still get good marks on a side but the whole steak is not overcooked. Depends on the heat of the coals.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    More specifically, lay the cast iron grate down with the ribs of it oriented towards the hinge (parallel to it). Lay the meat down oriented in a 10 o'clock position (the hinge being 12o'clock). After a few minutes turn the meat to point in the 2o'clock position, without flipping - the same side of the meat should be facing the fire.

After another few minutes, flip the meat and finish cooking. You only need grill marks on one side. Many ways to do this, this is just one example.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Larrymac said:

Yes. You'll see some recipes that say something like "grill steak for 60 secs then rotate 90 degrees and grill 60 seconds more. Flip steak and repeat" This would be 4 total. Sme only have you do it on one side(the "presentation" side) so you still get good marks on a side but the whole steak is not overcooked. Depends on the heat of the coals.
    Well teeechnically, it's three.  Put meat on grid, wait, 

1.    1/4 turn, 
    2      flip, wait 
    3.     1/4 turn, remove meat.

:P
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Eggcelsior
    You are correct. I meant to say 4 MINUTES total. Hooray for mobile editing!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Actually, a 1/4 turn is 45 degrees. 180 deg. Being a full turn not 360 deg. This gives you diamond pattern in lieu of cubes.
  • Eggcelsior
    There are many ways to do the same thing: crosshatch, diamond pattern, straight lines..... 

Context, Watson, context.

To each their own!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    There are many ways to do the same thing: crosshatch, diamond pattern, straight lines..... 

Context, Watson, context.

To each their own!
    I would like W's. How do I get W's....... :-t
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Mickey

try one of these
    I guess one would have to get a swing grate and only cook on the "W" in "CGW".

Or get a branding iron. That might be cheaper.