Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats on the Mini

Monday afternoon I dropped Mrs. G off at the airport. She's off to Germany (again) for work and won't be back till next week. Thinking about her in Germany and then our trip to Germany last summer got me wanting some German food. I'm no expert on cooking German cuisine, I'm sure I could find some recipes if I looked, but brats sounded close enough for me. Got the Egg fired up to 350 and threw some on.

Let them cook for a bit.

Just a simple brat dinner along with some tots. Love me some tots. Not German, but who cares?

They were ok, nothing special. Certainly not as good as I remember this one being on the banks of the Main River.

And what did Stacie have her first night in Germany? Some bratwurst? Knockwurst? Possibly some schnitzel? No...she had spaghetti? Yeah...sometimes I wonder about her.

I've got a recipe that I'll probably cook Thursday that will have a German spin on something we all love to bbq. I got high hopes for it. We'll see how it turns out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Aaaahahaha. That's funny!! What flavor were the brats??
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    They were just regular store bought Johnsonville.

Rowlett, Texas

• Gotcha. I had beer flavored the other night. Very tasty
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Brats and beer.  Life is good.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie. We want pictures of Stacie.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    It's worth getting a mini just for the quick weeknight sausage cooks alone. These look great. My butcher makes more than a dozen different kinds; we're partial to the luganega with provolone and rabe right now. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Griffin
    @Mickey - so if I'm reading this right, you want pictures of Stacie?

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    @Griffin Yes, not the pictures of your grandfather like you posted above =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

With VI gone, just not much to do early in the morning.... Sorry Jason..... We still BFF....?.....

• Griffin
    But of course. I would have to get prior approval before posting any pics of SWMBO'ed on the net.

Rowlett, Texas

• Love me some German brats!!! I have never been able to recreate that at home but probably more to do with what is availbale then anything else.   I have found that with the Johnsonville that if you boil them in beer prior to cooking on the grill they come out much better.   Maybe try a nice German beer, but this has worked well fror me and generally get lots of compliments.

Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Nice looking cook, Grif!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I will be grabbing some brats next shopping trip. Those look great and its been too long.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Leave it to @griffin to take a cook that one typically wouldn't even bother taking pics of and making a post that once again results in me firing my egg up in freezing temps to cook brats for lunch.

Thanks a lot....
    =))

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Griffin

=)) Thanks @michigan_jason ...I think. :-?

Got some dough from our first deep dish/pan pizza thing thawing in the fridge right now for dinner. Gonna see if freezing it had any affect on the quality of the dough. I'll try and get pics of that for you, too.

:D

Rowlett, Texas

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    image Looks awesome griffin!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    No brats on a mini for me, if I'm frying brats (give me a break, I'm from Sheboygan, WI), I cook up a 3 lb box break out some homemade kraut and I have dinner and breakfast and lunch for a week.