Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Pot Roast Without the Pot...a solid Fail

Options

I was strolling through Kroger the other day and found a buy one get one deal on chuck pot roasts.  I thought I would cook it indirect and make pulled beef.  My vision was a pulled beef taco salad so I planned to cook it until it reaches 200 IT and then spice up the pulled beef with taco seasoning.  I rubbed it with DP Red Eye Express because, well, no reason other than I like it.  Cooked indirect at 250.  At the 3 hour mark, it was at 140 so I thought to keep dinner on schedule I better bump the temp to 270.  Took it off the Egg at 200 and let it rest for 15 minutes.  Here comes the fail.  It wouldn't pull, so I sliced it and nixed the taco salad idea.  One of the roasts was dry.  I was disappointed.  I'm sure my initial assumption that this cut would pull was incorrect and so was cooking it to 200.  Your thoughts?

imageimageimageimageimage
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I went through the same basic experience!!  Pulled beef is a whole nother world!!  It doesn't follow any basic rules of pork!!  Lickily i covered it in an aluminum pan added plenty of veggies and some beef broth and rode it through this stall period. And it was truely worth it !!  Since then i have done two other beef chuck roasts, and they cook much differently!! 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Here's a pulled beef recipe I'm pretty pumped to try. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146803/pepper-ale-beef#latest
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Clay's pulled beef recipe is what you need, it's in the recipe section.  95% of beef roasts do not have nearly enough fat to be tender at that temp and that long of a cook.  Sorry that you had what you consider a unsuccessful cook but it is a experiment every time you do something that you haven't done before regardless of recipe.Hopefully your next trip will be better then this one.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I cooked a in the CI DO using Dave in Florida's brisket injection. Seared then cooked at 300 simmering in the broth concoction. Really good. Try taking the dry meat, food processor it then warm it up in dif's marinade, toasted buns and sauteed mushroom, onion, peppers and provolone. Saved my brisket from the garbage.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Yeah those "on sale" items get me every time. The several I cooked were cooked about two hours per pound around 250 dome on leg on PS. Results are maybe better than yours, but it is not a butt. The last one stalled and supper was an hour late.
    Beef is a nice change on pace, but for pulled meat pork is king in my book.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Sorry it didn't turn out for you. Next time, foil it when it hits 160-165 and keep it in the foil until you hit 205-210. There will be enough liquid from the beef caught in the foil to help braise it and it will be fall apart tender. I did some back in December and just barely pushing down with some tongs did thisimage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Works great for tacos and nachos as well as your salad idea.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive only done it with bigger pieces of chuck, but foil around 180 and get the internal over 210 and it will pull. pretty much any big roast will pull if you do that, have even done it with a leg of lamb. also it pulls easier if you add an  eight cup or less of seltzer water to the foil stage, dont add any more than that or it turns to pot roast in taste and texture
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @Griffin would that work for a boneless beef shoulder roast? I picked up a two pack today about 3 pounds each. Any idea how it would take to get them done?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    looks and sounds like it was undercooked to me.  I think braising and foiling will cook it faster.
    Options
    I'd go a little higher on the temp next time, pull at 205* minimum if not 210*.  They don't always pull as easily as a pork butt.  I don't foil unless doing a recipe like the pepper ale beef recipe.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options

I do these things at least once a month, 200 internal isn't high enough to pull beef shoulder. No need for foil or a dutch oven if all you're after is pulled beef.  Throw it on the grid at about 275 dome and pull between 205 - 215.  I use a pair PVC heat resistant gloves for easy pulling.  Works every time.  The cut of beef does matter though.  Make sure you get "beef shoulder".  Every grocery store or meat market calls it something different.  Ask for the right cut if you're not sure.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thank you for your responses.  I was looking for pulled beef and trying to keep it simple.  I didn't really want to braise because I love bark.  I thought the chuck pot roast would pull like a pork butt, but not so.  Next time I will make sure I have the right cut and cook it to 210 - 215 IT depending on its tenderness. 
    Flint, Michigan