Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country ribs question?

Should I cook these like I would a butt since it is a shoulder.  Cook at about 250 degrees grid temp to 190-200 meat temp? 

Anything wrong with saucing at the end to set a glaze like a rib?

Any other tips?

Comments

• I usually cook around 325 direct and sauce throughout the cook. Always turn out great.
  • I just did some last week and put them on at 250 for about 2 hours then sauced them and wrapped them in foil and left them on for another 1-1/2 hours. They came out tender and juicy. The wife loved them and people that is the only one I got to please.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I cook them just about like pork chops. Dry rub, then cook direct at around 375-400. They are too small to treat like butt, IMHO.

But, whatever turns out good is good. ;)

Tim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    country ribs can be from the butt or the loin. 275 from the butt and cook them well done, 325 from the loin to 140 internal and rest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I sear mine at gasket level direct heat for about 30 minutes, then place them in my CI pot with a head of chopped cabbage and a pound of washed sauerkraut in the bottom.  Maybe add a 1/2 a can cheap beer, cover and let simmer for a couple of hours!!!  The BEST !
  • I do kind of like Charlie tuna does.  I sear mine for just a few minutes per side.

Then I put them in a dish on top of a bunch of chopped carrots, celery, onion, and thyme and pour in enough broth to come up to about 1/2 the height of chops. 

I foil that and roast on the plate setter until the ribs hit 190-195f.  Serve the chops and pour the sauce over some rice, good stuff.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • I normally treat them like a chop and grill them direct (already talked about), but I have also treated them like burnt ends. Low with smoke for a few hours, then wrap in foil with a little liquid and braise. Once they are cooked to your preferred doneness, cut them up into 1" cubes and put back on the low smoke in a pan/foil boat with sauce. Delish. Also works really well for beef short ribs.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA