Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your lump of choice?

Options
13»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Oyster Bay, Chesapeake Bay, sitting on the dock of the bay...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I opened a new bag of WGWW tonight expecting the huge pieces that normally are in the bag.  This bag had almost all small pieces and chips.  It was like it went through a pulverizer.  Rather than using it, I opened another bag that was perfect.  Not sure how they did it but that one bag was horrible.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I like Maple Leaf but I also like Basques (Natures Own).

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I go with Wegmans lump made by Royal Oak. Consistent, high heat, Long burn time, low ash, $0.59/lb.

I have tried 1 bag of Wicked Good. It was Wicked bad. It had Wicked amounts of ash that made me Wicked pissed when 2 separate cooks went out from ash clogging the intake vent. It is also Wicked expensive at $1.10/lb around me. Based on other's Wicked awesome exaltations of it, I am certain I must have had a bad bag. It's too expensive to try again when what I use at almost have the price works exceedingly well. YMMV
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    henapple said:
    Bay area?
    Kind of by Oakland
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited February 2013
    Options
    My lump, my lump, my lovely lovely lump. Watcha gonna do with all that lump...? Big greenoncye
    Isn't that song by Green Egged Peas?
    Pretty much.  There's also this one by the Presidents Of The USA...

"Lump"

Lump sat alone in a boggy marsh

Totally motionless except for her heart

Mud flowed up into lump's pyjammas

She totally confused all the passing piranhas

She's lump she's lump

She's in my head

She's lump she's lump she's lump

She might be dead

Lump lingered last in line for brains

And the ones she got were sorta rotten and insane

Small thing's so sad that birds could land

Is lump fast asleep or rockin' out with the band

She's lump she's lump

She's in my head

She's lump she's lump she's lump

She might be dead

• henapple
    Options

henapple said:

Bay area?

Kind of by Oakland

I'm not remotely close to the area but would ship you a bag to see if you like it.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited February 2013
    Options
    rtt121 said:

Bay area usually is San Francisco

Not if you live in Tampa. Just sayin'

:)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bettysnephew
    Options

As of this afternoon, Nature Glo.  I really like WGWW, but while in Chicago today, I purchased 5 forty pound bags of N G for $19.75/bag from Berger Bros. Charcoal Co.  This is less than 1/2 the local price of WG.  If it works as well as has been reported on this and other forums I will buy it again the next time I am in Big Windy.  If it works almost as well, it is still a bargain.  BTW, the owner told me prices are going up soon, so if you have access, I would stop in and make a buy.  Will report back at a later date regarding its' suitability in the Egg.  The cover is still frozen to the table here in Iowa.  The one bag that had to ride in the back seat on the way home had a nice aroma.  A Toyota Avalon will only fit 4 40 pounders in the trunk.

Also the guy that brings the charcoal out to your vehicle is a prince.  He is covered with a fine dusting of charcoal, but very helpful with any questions you might have and a true gentleman.  He handled all of the bags carefully and even exchanged one that he found had a very very small tear in the side so our car wouldn't get any dust in it.  They also stock woods for smoking, which he talked about knowledgeably.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Anyone remember that 1983 Van Halen song; "Lump".............................................. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kdfRhU7IFPE&desktop_uri=/watch?v=kdfRhU7IFPE
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    500 said:
    Anyone remember that 1983 Van Halen song; "Lump".............................................. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kdfRhU7IFPE&desktop_uri=/watch?v=kdfRhU7IFPE
    Of course.  Great song.  
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    I certainly hope it is only the bag that has changed and not the product. WGWW is the best out there. You guys in the south have it easy, I have to travel 2 hours to get mine.There is one company I wont buy from that uses a blue, white and red bag. Out of 3 bags that I bought from Wal-Mart, I got at least 1 rock in each bag. These weren't small rocks either. (At least a pound each). Kings, they are not.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Wow I didn't realize how good I have it here in Oklahoma, I usually have half a bag of Ozark Oak and just stop by the local dealer on my way home if I have just crumbs from the night before. I get jealous of your being able to get tri-tip, packer briskets for a decent price, good micro beer, and seafood but now know I have a great source for lump... 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    Options
    @Solson005...I'm in Tulsa for a few. Any Ozark oak around here...I get it in lr AK for $5 bag.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    OziEgg said:
    I have three choices down here in Oz: 1. Kamodo Joe. 2. Kamodo Joe. 3. Kamodo Joe. And it's bloody expensive. Having said that, I find it better than the BGE bags I used to be able to get. Chunks seem a lot bigger.
    The Kamado Joe lump is the same as Wicked Good.  How much are you paying for it?
  • Springram
    Options
    alynd said:
    OziEgg said:
    I have three choices down here in Oz: 1. Kamodo Joe. 2. Kamodo Joe. 3. Kamodo Joe. And it's bloody expensive. Having said that, I find it better than the BGE bags I used to be able to get. Chunks seem a lot bigger.
    The Kamado Joe lump is the same as Wicked Good.  How much are you paying for it?
    I have heard this before. My Ace dealer says the same thing and that is why he does not stock Wicked Good. He does order Wicked Good for me, however. Of the bags of Kamodo Joe that I have used, they do not seen to be the same as Wicked Good. Just my opinion.  FWIW, I think Naked Whiz says they are not the same.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • henapple
    Options

henapple said:

Bay area?

Kind of by Oakland

$23 dollars shipping...hell, I'll give you a bag if you want to pay the shipping. Expensive but you'll see if you like it.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Ozark Oak

Where do you did Ozark Oak in central Texas?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Find... Where did you find OO? Curse you autocorrect.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Solson005...I'm in Tulsa for a few. Any Ozark oak around here...I get it in lr AK for $5 bag.
    I tried to find some in Tulsa with no luck yet. The Gadget Company looks like it could be promising but they don't open till 10.  Westlake carries a bunch of lump but not Ozark. 

One BBQ place I just read about in a magazine over the weekend might be worth checking out when your in Tulsa Burn Co. BBQ  They have Hasty Bake BBQs in the alley behind the place. Only open 10:30 till they run out of food. 

If I make it to my dealer in OKC this week, i'll ask him if he knows where to get Ozark in Tulsa. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    Options
    Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, I get it at my local Ace. $20.00/ 22lb bag.

• henapple
    Options
    I'm hoping to hit Harps in AK on the way home...appreciate the help.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    Maple Leaf although its usually more expensive. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    first choice would be any lump made from maple which i can no longer get without a long drive to canada, second choice would be any lump made of oak. i also use wgww and cowboy but after using so many different lumps ill stick with option a and b and say any lump made with maple or oak is good enough
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    I've just been grabbing a bag of GreenWise from Publix. Convenient and so far it's performed pretty well.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    #1 WGWW - $20 after my $2 off $10+ coupons I get for my local Ace
    #2 Publix GreenWise - $6 for 8.8 pound. A little pricier, but it's been a great lump for me
    #3 RO but I never buy it cause I can always get the aboves any time I need.
    Dunedin, FL