Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to any hot dog lovers

I know I will probably get flamed. But that is ok. My wife loves hot dogs. So tonight we did a couple of different appys. Did ABT's with cream cheese and chorizo. The meat we fried up till the meat was brown and then mixed it in with the cream cheese. Instead of wrapping the bacon around I just laid it on top, due to not having enough bacon. Did these at 400 indirect. It didn't take long. There was a couple of chunks of apple wood in the lump. Just before the ABT's were done, I put 3 dogs on the egg. They were in a pan, wrapped with bacon and the some brown sugar added. We were eating the ABT's and the dogs were grilling away. Just about finished the ABT's and the dogs were ready. Didn't use any buns, just ate the dogs the way they were. The brown sugar really made a nice caramelized flavour. Sorry no pics. But it did taste good and I kept SWMBO happy. 
Cheers.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Got to try that.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• When ya bite into the dog, it kind of sticks in your mouth. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Happy wife = happy life.

I love hot dogs.  I haven't egged any yet, but some snappy brats on a nice bun with some good mustard are sure to be in my near future.

Thanks to you!  
    :((
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • When you do it, just let the brown sugar caramelize on the dog and when the bacon is done, it is time to snarf them down. Good Luck
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Sounds good to me!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I picked up a few butcher shop angus hot dogs a few weeks ago. I was about to start a low and slow,but wanted to throw something on for dinner. While the Egg was at 225, I spiral cut the to dogs and threw them on around the edges. After about 30 minutes, they started to "bloom" where I spiral cut them. The middles were juicy, the wrappings had a nice snap, and they were huge best dogs I've ever eaten. Can't beat a low and slow hot dog, I guess....lol.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Love spiral cut dogs. Was wondering how they would be with the brown sugar and bacon.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    When I went to visit my brother in Boston, I had him get some Pearl 1/4# Franks. I grilled them up, and even on his gasser, they were the best dogs I've ever had. http://www.pearlmeat.com/frankfurters.html
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Hot dogs are the bomb.  Thanks for the idea.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    If SWMBO is happy, everybody is happy. Smart move, bossman! Those dogs sound tasty. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I am a huge fan of hotdogs. I will try this soon.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    We love hot dogs on the XL too, really extra flavor. I'll  have to try them spiraled with brown sugar, sounds fantastic!
  • CeramicChef
    CeramicChef Posts: 182
    edited February 2013
    I LOVE a good hotdog and YES I cook 'em on my BGE and NO it's not a sacrilege! I buy mine at my butcher's, he's got some wonderful big franks. I split 'em down the middle and split them again ... Not all the way through, and then score them ... That way they don't curl. I get 'em nice and brown on the outside, not burnt. Next take 'em and lay a nice strip of pepper jack cheese in the middle fold 'em back together around the cheese, and wrap 'em in bacon! Back on the fire until the bacon is done and on a nice toasty bun ... YUM! Comfort food deluxe!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited February 2013
    You kept SWMBO happy and that is the real key to this story. Everything sounded delicious. Plus I will add something here that might make you feel differently about pan frying them and may get me flamed. 

I saw some ad or promotional material for the Egg around the time I got my Egg, where they said even hotdogs are better on the Egg. Well I am a skeptic at heart so I did up 8 hotdogs from the same box, 4 on the Egg and 4 on the gasser at the same temp and for the same time. There was zero difference that I or my 3 guests could tell. At 8 minutes it is a short cook and my favorite dogs have a thin all natural casing. I 'm sure this combined to not allow any charcoal smoke flavor to get into the dogs. When I make smoked hotdogs, that is the only time I ever buy skinless hotdogs. So if you were using dogs with skins in that C/I pan, I'll bet they tasted as good as they would have direct grilled. The Egg is great, but this was a case where it tied for best.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Every time i do a low and slow I put a few dogs on for lunch and leftovers since the egg is up a running. the family loves them...