Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri-tip direct or indirect

I have cooked Tri Tip many times on a regular BBQ but not on my egg yet. I have herd to seer it for a few min on both sides at high temp and then lower temp to 300 fat up for 35 min at direct cooking ???

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    treat/cook it like a rare to medium rare steak....slice thin (1/4"+) against the grain.....

them fine eats....t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    What eggsessories do you have? I Trex all beef. I set my egg up so it is a quick transition in between stages. I have my spider in the egg with my CI grid to sear over coals. I have fire bricks on the fire ring. After the sear, I just throw in the stock grate on top of the brick for raised direct. So, to answer your question, direct. The bricks are my raised direct setup until I pull the trigger on the AR, which is soon [-O<
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DMOTS
    DMOTS Posts: 29
    just the basics, I have herd of raising the grill with bricks for higher direct cooking. Will red bricks due?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yeah, they will do. Not sure if they will fit on the fire ring though. Before I got fire bricks took a red brick and chisel/hammer and made three relatively equal pieces of red brick. I wrapped them in foil and stood them up on fire ring. Worked great. Only reason I wrapped them was because wasn't sure if they would stand up to the heat. Not sure foil did anything, but I envisioned the brick cracking and getting in food
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Tri-tip is pretty versatile in that it can be cooked direct, indirect, raised direct, or in some combo. For me, I like indirect roast with a sear to finish. This is what I do: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/

If you have tri tip readily accessible to you I'd suggest trying the various ways to cook it & determine which method works best for your tastes.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Direct for me.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I love tri tip and hardly ever see it here in Oklahoma. But when I find it, I do mine as you mentioned direct. First, I sear high heat 500°+ then pull off and let the egg cool down to 350° and cook to mid rare. If you plan on doing raised direct often you should check out the Ceramic Grill Store and look at the Woo it keeps your grid at a raised direct and can be a easy way to get the platesetter in and out if you use both methods during a cook. I have a Woo for my small egg and have not cooked without it. On my large I use fire bricks split in half to achieve the same thing, very cheap from lowes and had a score mark in the middle that made it easy to split. Here is a picture of the raised grid on my large another homemade way is this from the Naked Whiz.

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    I go raised direct at 350 or so. As someone else said though, it's very versatile.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

They're a staple here in SoCal and regularly on sale. I cooked one last Thursday and probably cook at least one a month.  I like to cook them direct at about 225 to 250. My trick is remove all silver skin and fat from the top and give it a rub. Let it sit overnight if you can.  Leave the fat cap on and cook it with the fat cap down which protects it from the direct heat. If the fat burns who cares since your going to cut it off and not eat it. It's really a pretty tough cut of meat IMO so that's why I would suggest the low and slow. I'd pull it at around 130 to 135.

Tim

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • I have had good luck using the reverse sear method.  Cook it indirect low and slow until it reaches about 110°F, then crank the heat up and finish to your choice of doneness. To make this easier, I place the cast iron grid under the plate setter for the initial indirect cook, then when at  internal meat temp foil the tri tip, remove and set aside the plate setter and stainless grid and open the air flow controls.  The C I is preheated during the indirect and it doesn't take long to get up to searing temp.  This has yielded excellent results many times.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    When doing tri tip on my XL, I do it direct, but build a fire on only one side of the firebox.  That way I can sear directly over the coals as needed and then set off to the side and cook.  This procedure works great for me.
    I'm even more happy that I've found a regular supply of tri tip at my local grocer here in the midwest. It's one of my family's favorite cooks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio