Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Cook pics

They got better with each subsequent effort.  Nice knowin' you, Mr. Gasket.
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• How hot did you run them?  I have found that running higher than 650 or so and it burns the bottom of my crust before the toppings are done.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice pies. 550ish usually works pretty well for me.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ptmurphy said:

How hot did you run them?  I have found that running higher than 650 or so and it burns the bottom of my crust before the toppings are done.

You're right. My first one was over 750° and wasn't great (but still not bad- definitely got eaten). I ran the others right around 650 for 5 minutes max. Any lower than that and I could just use the regular gas oven.

XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Good looking za's. I too have found 650 to be the temperature I like to cook pizzas at. This after a 30 minute pre-heating of the pizza stone after the grill is stabilized at 650. I have found 4:30 to be the time that gives me a golden brown and crispy crust with fully cooked toppings. 

As for your gasket and if you have the old brown colored wool gasket, pizzas will indeed be goodbye Mr Gasket. I've been running a high temperature replacement gasket from High Cue for about 60 high temperature cooks now. Other than some discoloration in a couple places from charcoal dust, it looks as good as new. My second Egg came with the grey high temp gasket BGE is now shipping and it seems to be holding up well too. I'd almost say if you are going to do high temp cooks and you have the old brownish wool gasket get a high temp replacement gasket and be done with it. I let mine get pretty bad before swapping it out and I think that made it harder to remove. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.