Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

;( out of lump

Options
13»

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    target813 said:
    So BGE is only $20 a bag at my dealer in north Georgia. When I looked at getting some Wicked Good online through ACE and having it sent to my local store it is $22 or so a bag.  I will try some soon.  How much is the BGE lump other places?
    I am paying $20 at my local dealer for the BGE lump.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bccomstock
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Other than Royal Oak, I've used B&B (found at Academy and now at WalMart) and Best of The West (Sam's).. B&B seemed to be better than the Best of the West, which was really sparky.
    How many bags of best if the west did you use? I have used 4 bags and only 1 was sparky. Contrarily, 2 out 3 of my wicked good have been sparky. I just take out the sparky piece, which I have found usually is really shiny before being lit. I like wicked good because it burns long, but it also takes longer to get up to temperature. Truthfully, I think wicked good is a good lump, but overhyped a bit.
    I've only used one, or actually, half of one so far.. It's sitting on the back patio and will get used in a pinch.. :)

Bought a bag of "Best of the West" at Sam's Club  --- 20 pound bag for elevan and change !!  The worst crap i ever came across.  Tossed half of it in the garbage.  There was one piece that was a six inch tree limb about 12 inches long and wouldn't burn!!  They sold one pallet, the second pallet has been untouched for three months, so i'm guessing the other lump users want no part of this product!!!

Yeah, I had similar oddities in mine.. I think I even had some sort of clay/concrete pieces.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Royal Oak from Restaurant Depot for me around .50/lb when I run out & can't get to Jax, Publix, Teeter or Wally World. May try Winn Dixie one time. Our Wally World carries lump year round.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You think BGE would make it more affordable...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    I posted on another thread...I'm going through Arkansas and I'm going to get as much Ozark as I can find. Will be happy to ship anyone a bag to try. $5.29 + shipping. No, I don't work for Ozark...
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    edited February 2013
    Options
    IVE ONLY USED BGE BRAND BUT AT 29$ FOR 20#! :-& I WAS RECENTLY IN THE US AND FOUND ROYAL OAK AT 6$/8 1/2#! BOUGHT 10 BAGS! THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE WORTH A TRY!
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    daffy1909 said:
    IVE ONLY USED BGE BRAND BUT AT 29$ FOR 20#! :-& I WAS RECENTLY IN THE US AND FOUND ROYAL OAK AT 6$/8 1/2#! BOUGHT 10 BAGS! THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE WORTH A TRY!

They are the same thing.  They just don't have the BGE name on them.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I want to stock up one day. Currently I just have 1-2 bags at a time. Never bad more than 2. My local Walmart is never out of RO. I tried cowboy for first time last night. No issues. Felt took longer to heat up than RO but burned well.
    Boom
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I wish i had as much faith in my Walmart Store as you do !! ~:>
  • henapple
    Options
    Kempy said:

daffy1909 said:

They are the same thing.  They just don't have the BGE name on them.

I respectfully disagree. They might be made by the same company but Ford makes a Fusion and an Expedition...like I said, imho.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @henapple
    You mean my Nissan isn't an infeniti ;( or my Lexus isn't a Toyota??

I'm confused.

Jk, most things are made by a larger company and sold with a label, BUT a lot of times are sifted and the lower end has a lower end price with a lower end name. The higher end have a higher end price with a higher in name.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

I wish i had as much faith in my Walmart Store as you do !! ~:>

I have zero faith in walmart

XLBGE 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

RO may make BGE but when I bring home a bag of BGE the charcoal smell fills the car.  That's not the case with the RO.  The pieces seem to be bigger too.  They have to be doing something different.with the bags of BGE.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    Options
    I'm merely saying the same company produces and sales different quality. I know the RO I've tried doesn't compare to the BGE I've cooked with. Lump is like anything else...to each his own. As I've said, given a choice of the lump I've tried I'd buy Ozark.