Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket on a mini.... trying to perfect

SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
3.8 lb cab brisket, cooked @ 225 dome for a 4.5hrs, foiled @ 190 and did FTC in the cooler. Result good not dry but not fork tear tender it has a chew.

What to do ? Take em higher or is it the smaller briskets are tough to perfect? No added wood for smoke, used wgww taste is fine.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Higher finish temp start checking with probe/ for at 190 i.t.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Don't let good oil go to waste, been doing cod tacos last few nights how about double fried frenchies. 250 degrees then 350

Seattle, WA
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    Maybe try injecting it.. I used some beef broth and Worcestershire and injected at 160 internal.. I've seen others add rub and other flavorings to an injection sauce.. 

Also, I took mine to 205 internal, then FTC'd.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    The finish-line for any brisket (packer or flat) is "when the probe goes in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat".  Start checking in the low 190's but don't be surprised if the above doesn't happen til around 200+/-.  The window for true success (home-run) with a flat is quite narrow-I have many more doubles, singles and strike-outs than I do triples and HR's.  But the fun is the cook-Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You are my hero
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I don't really want to try cooking a brisket on a Mini... Or at least I didn't ...until now. :D
    I'm with Lou on finishing higher & probe tender.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA