Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on MY 2013 BGE mini

I have seen pictures of the MY mini with the new handle without the 2 screws on the front side. Does the latest mini also have all metal parts in black (hinge, bolts, etc.) as the other BGE's got since last year

thanks for your help :)
Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013
    By you getting a NEW Mini just of late has no relationship to being the latest Mini on the market. Has to do with how long "your" Mini has been at the distributorship warehouse before shipping to your dealer and getting sold to you. Some can get a new Mini with still very old setups. It would be up to you to be sure you have the latest before giving payment. Lots of dealers do not have a clue.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @mickey, thx but I was asking if the very latest mini has all black parts :)
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    I just got a mini, and it does have all black parts.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I got fall of last year and its all black.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• thx, guys that is what I wanted to know :)  

btw any pictures of the black hinge etc. (just out of curiosity)
  • Griffin

Here's a side by side look. Mine (new) is in the front and my buddies (old) is in the back.

And another

You can see different color hinges and hardware, different handles and different stands. Mine has the newer thermometer and I think even the shape might be a bit different as they are sitting side by side on equal height tables, although that might just appear that way due to different height of stands.image

Rowlett, Texas

• @ griffin thx.:) !
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I can't wait to get one.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin

@mhoutman - no problem.

@Chubbs - you are gonna love it. So much fun.

Rowlett, Texas

• Chubbs said:
    I can't wait to get one.

after using a buddies small I'm def committed to a mini. When and where are you buying yours? I will probably go Ace in Cayce or the place off broad river. Wonder if one of us can buy both at same time a negotiate a deal? Ha
    Boom
  • mhoutman
    mhoutman Posts: 57
    edited February 2013
    You will love the mini. We have both a large and mini but see an increasing use of latter. It is such a small power house :)
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I think two accessories are essential: a mini woo and a High-Que grate. I couldn't get much above 475 without the grate. And you are going to love it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Griffin
    The mini woo and 2 pizza stones are a must. I personally don't see the need for a hi-q grate as some do, but then again, I have problems keeping mine below 350 (400 on some days). I can easily peg my thermometer out. I'm thinking my lower vent wasn't sealed as well as some because you can see quite a gap between the metal and ceramic.

Rowlett, Texas

• jlsm
    Griff, mine came with a large gap, too, and I sealed it. 
  • Griffin
    What'd you use? I've been meaning to do that. I was going to do it back in October, but then November came along and before you know it here we are in February. I can be kinda lazy, sometimes. I've had a spare gasket for my large sitting around for over a year that I've never used and for some reason I just ordered a Rutland. Let's see how long that takes to get on there. :\">

Rowlett, Texas

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mine also has that little gap but I don't think it hinders snuffing out the coals
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2013
    My Mini has no problems going nuclear without a High-Q. Mine likes 280-300 on the low end. I agree with Griffin on the Mini Woo from CGS & Old Stone Oven pizza stones from Amazon.

I'd suggest you hold off on the High-Q until you see how your Mini cooks and then decide if you need it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs said:
    I can't wait to get one.

after using a buddies small I'm def committed to a mini. When and where are you buying yours? I will probably go Ace in Cayce or the place off broad river. Wonder if one of us can buy both at same time a negotiate a deal? Ha
    I have a picture on my phone a buddy took when he was in a dealer in Augusta last week. The mini is $319.00. I am going to see if Ace will match the price. I am likely getting mine in March.
  • jlsm
    Griff, I used clear silicone, as BGE recommended. I had two gaping gaps. (I hadn't even noticed the silicone around my large, but it's there.)
  • Chubbs
    jlsm said:
    Griff, I used clear silicone, as BGE recommended. I had two gaping gaps. (I hadn't even noticed the silicone around my large, but it's there.)
    Yeah, the silicone around my large is creeping up my base. Never notcied it until I switched to a high-que. My thoughts are more hot coals fall through the grate and sit in the bottom of the egg right behind the vent. Gets hot as a mother and messes with the silicone. Prob why BGE uses the fire grate they use.
  • jlsm
    @Chubbs, I haven't experienced the same problem, but I don't do cooks above 500, and the hot ones are normally short. 
  • Chubbs
    jlsm said:

@Chubbs, I haven't experienced the same problem, but I don't do cooks above 500, and the hot ones are normally short. 

@Village_Idiot had it on his egg too. He has a high que and does a lot of woking further solidifying my theory (in my mind at least :)