Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gazebo Project Underway (Update with pics)

Structure will be complete today, concrete will come later this week. I did have one screw up that I am not happy about. I didnt visualize correctly how large a 6x6 cedar post really is. The posts are 8 feet on centers instead of 10 feet as I had planned. If I were to put them at 10 feet I would lose the overhang which I wanted. I set myself a budget so I was not able to make the gazebo larger. Anyway, the egg table will still fit between the posts when it is fully extended so no big deal. The concrete slab will be 10x10 with sidewalks leading from the existing patio and out the gate. Will probably landscape between the house and the gazebo where the grass is left.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What's  wrong, they were all out of heavy lumber =)) Please keep the pic's coming on the project. Looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice..love cedar. Get you about 3 coats of good sealer or semi-transparent stain on it and it'll look new forever
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.  You could also put in some of those roll up/down bamboo screens on the west and south side to protect you from the sun.  We have some on our front porch.

LOL, I told the guy I didnt want it blowing down in the wind we get around here, guess he took it serious. The cedar smells great. I will post pics of the finished product tomorrow. Hope they can get the concrete down friday. Staining it is in the planning as well.

Nola, I have a screen like you described on my existing patio (because it faces west). Its not bamboo but it cuts out about 60% if that western sun in the evening. I have a magnolia tree on the west side of this thing that I am hoping will block enough of the sun. We'll see.

Thanks for all the comments.

• sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Very nice. If you're like me you'll be out there all the time. Hell, the kids do there homework at my outdoor kitchen. Staining the concrete is very easy. I did mine myself & I'm no Bob Villa for sure.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Looks great. I am in the early stages of planning a flagstone patio and walkway. I want to put a pergola up that will be over my egg(s) and egg table. Currently, my egg is on my screened in porch. Hoping to get it off of there sooner than later. My laundry room (that also has my beer fridge) smells like a steak house--- my wife wonders how I can spend so much time in there---- from all of the smoke.

Trying to draw up some plans but not sure how to do that. Any good free computer programs?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Sorry Plano--- not meaning to hijack your thread... I am sure the moderators will kick me out for that shortly anyway...
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    You can tell that I'm not building that as there ain't no beer cans on the ground around it.  L-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812 said:
    You can tell that I'm not building that as there ain't no beer cans on the ground around it.  L-)

I was thinking the same thing.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    The beer cans are in the recycle bin and the whiskey is in the freezer <:-P
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Looking good! I know how Eggcited you must be.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great so far! I will be keeping tabs on this for sure.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Keep these pictures coming.  I want to do something similar and I need inspiration.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    at least you'll have a safe place of refuge during a hurricane!  Very nice project, cant wait to see the final product.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Thanks everyone, I'm about to post pics of the finished gazebo.
  • looking great... cant wait to see completed pictures
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chubbs
    Plano_JJ said:

Thanks everyone, I'm about to post pics of the finished gazebo.

We all sat up all night long waiting on the pic... Well?! Lets see it.