Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Sous Vide Tonight

SeeingSpots
SeeingSpots Posts: 151
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I tried my first sous vide tonight.  I went with some small, on sale, top sirloin steak, just for the experience.  I used the cooler method and was able to easily keep the temp between 129-131 for two hours, I was amazed.  Just a few cups of boiling water here and there.  I put a little Moore's marinade and a sprig of fresh thyme in each food saver package (four total).  

Two hours in the tub, and then one minute each side on the egg, using my CI grid, rotating after 30 seconds for the perfect diamond pattern.  The steaks were great, but a little over for my taste, closer to medium than MR, but still real good and tender.  They didn't have alot of grill flavor, so next time I'll add some chunks.

BTW, I used the Maverick to help with temp control in the cooler.  I rigged up a float for my pit probe using a water noodle, it worked great!

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

Look great! Certainly try 125 degrees next time for more of a MR. I like your Maverick temp float! I don't know about you, but I like how all steaks (4 in your case) generally come out cooked exactly the same and throughout the meat. For me, the SWMBO usually gets a smaller cut than I do, so it's very convienent not having to time several different size steaks on BGE. I think your spot on with less grill taste. Chunks might help but this also may be the downside to sous vide.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

Here's a recipe I borrowed from "sous vide supreme" for Pork chops I recently tried that turned out really good. I think the cooler technique would work but I didn't use in my trial. I did an overnight brine and they came out tasting a bit salty, next time I'll reduce salt mix or time brining.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sous VIde Pork Chops

Serves 1 to 4
    Time: 4 to 8 hours

Ingredients:

1 to 4 double thick boneless pork chops (about 2-inches/5cm thick)
    coarse salt (omit if brining chops)
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    paprika
    bacon fat and/or butter (optional)

Instructions:

1. For best results, brine the pork chops beforehand in the refrigerator.

a) Make the brining solution by dissolving 1/4 cup (60g) kosher salt in 1 quart (liter) of water in a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip closure bag or large covered container.
    b) Put the chops into the brine, seal or cover, and refrigerate 4 hours or up to overnight.
    c) When ready to cook, remove the chops from the brine and discard the brining liquid. Rinse the chops in cold water. Pat dry.

2. Fill and preheat SousVide Supreme to desired level of doneness (134F/56.5C for medium rare; 138F/58C for medium).
    3. Sprinkle the chops lightly on both sides with each of the seasonings, omitting the salt if you brined the chops beforehand.
    4. Put one or two seasoned chops, along with a generous tablespoon of bacon fat or butter, if desired, into each cooking pouch and vacuum/seal.
    5. Put the pouch(es) into the pouch rack in the cooler/Sous vide. Be sure that all the meat is fully submerged below the surface of the water in the bath.
    6. Cook at the target temperature for at least 4 hours, but no more than 8.
    7. When ready to serve, remove pouch(es) from the water bath and put them into inverted lid to cool for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature before proceeding . (At this point you may also quick chill, submerged in ice water for at least 1 hour and store in the refrigerator for use within 48hours or freeze after chilling for up to a year.)
    8. Sear the chops before serving to give them a nice golden color and savory flavor. On the grill: Oil the grates of the grill. Preheat the grill to hot (450F/232C) to (500F/260C). Sear chops on the grill for 1 minute per side.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    The sear time on the BGE is just too short to get the flavor you are used to. If you miss the grill taste when you SV cook a steak, try cold smoking the meat before you seal it in the bag.