Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - The Definitive Guide

Options
sixfive
sixfive Posts: 1

Being a noob to both the BGE and the forums, I want to start with: this forum is great.  It’s the only forum I’ve ever seen that doesn’t end up with ridiculous arguments after the 3rd post!  There is so much great and helpful information here I’m finding myself addicted. 

The one difficulty I’m having is that a lot of the information is disjointed and piecemeal…so, for my first post, I wanted to gather info that could help everyone, noobs and veterans alike, by summarizing a single topic with consistent and complete information.  This way, anyone looking for guidance on this topic could check the answers and generate a great plan for doing some good ‘work’ on a butt.  That being said, please respond to this by copying/pasting the questions below and filling in YOUR answers. 

Please respond with how YOU cook a BUTT - SLOW and LOW  (NO TURBOS, please)…that could be another topic for another day…plesae don't list options and variables, this is how you'd do it with only one change and one BUTT to create a masterpiece!!!
Injection or no (what kind): 
Marinate or no (what kind):
Direct/Indirect: 
Cook Temp:
Meat Done Temp: 
Wrap in foil: Y / N
If so, at what temp/time:
Rub or no (what kind):
Wood Type for smoke: 
Cook time (average): 
CyberQ or no: 
Rest time: 
Other thoughts:

Comments

• sixfive
    Options

I'm not qualified to respond as I've only done one and about to start my second but do want to answer as I'm not poaching recipes!

Injection or no (what kind):  yes (creole butter)
    Marinate or no (what kind): no
    Direct/Indirect: indirect
    Cook Temp: 265
    Meat Done Temp: 190 
    Wrap in foil: Y
    If so, at what temp/time: not sure
    Rub or no (what kind): yes
    Wood Type for smoke: hickory
    Cook time (average): 8 hrs/ 4 lbs
    CyberQ or no: yes
    Rest time: 2 hrs
    Other thoughts: The above info is from extremely limited experience.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited February 2013
    Options

okyy-I provided some references and dutifully answered the questions-only to get hit with the approval process.  Sucks!  Gotta be the links!

Tried again and no links but got hit with the apporval process again...I'm finished.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Injection - yes i've found carolina red sauce to impart a nice flavor 
    Marinate - no 
    Indirect: - yes 
    Cook Temp: 265 grid 
    Meat Done Temp: 200/205 
    Wrap in foil: only if need to hold for a few hours after the cook 
    Rub - perk up your pork and coarse dizzy dust and a yellow mustard binder 
    Wood Type for smoke:  apple . cherry and hickory 
    Cook time- depends on the size i allow a hour to a hour and a half per pound 
    CyberQ - yes 
    Rest time:  maybe a hour then pulled and enjoyed and packaged up 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    injection or no (what kind):  - no
    Marinate or no (what kind): - no
    Direct/Indirect: - indirect
    Cook Temp: - 250 to 290 based upon time available
    Meat Done Temp: - 205, minimum 200* on all pokes with the thermapen
    Wrap in foil: Y / N - N
    If so, at what temp/time: No foil
    Rub or no (what kind): - Cajun rub (home made)
    Wood Type for smoke:  Apple
    Cook time (average):  >1.5 hrs/lb @ 250; 1 hr/lb @ 290.
    CyberQ or no:  - No. I use a maverick to passively monitor the cook.
    Rest time:  - None required.  Eat it while its hot.  :)
    Other thoughts: - This is a very forgiving meat to cook.  Comes out good no matter how hard you try to mess it up.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Injection or no (what kind):  No, but don't have issue just don't
    Marinate or no (what kind): No, just yellow mustard and rub
    Direct/Indirect:  indirect of course - don't think any other way - direct doesn't make sense - at least not to me
    Cook Temp: cook to 200-205 or so
    Meat Done Temp:  225 - 300 fine - not an exact science
    Wrap in foil: Y / N - No, but would do in the future if convinced
    If so, at what temp/time: NA
    Rub or no (what kind): yes, whatever I have available - typically buy good stuff
    Wood Type for smoke:  use weekend warrior for long smokes and some hickory and some fruity stuff based on what I find - but can use pecan, alder etc... doesn't really matter
    Cook time (average): 8 lbs about 12 hours or so, but each can be weird in their own way  
    CyberQ or no: I don't too cheap - please buy me one  
    Rest time:  depends on dinner - I usually eat around 5:30 - 6:30 PM so all around when done and when eating
    Other thoughts: don't put to much thought into it, just mustard, rub, get egg to about 250 (or so) and let it run.  Extremely easy to do.  I will say I bought some cheper cuts of butt once at shoprite and was unhappy with the results.  Costco nice job, butcher etc..  Some places no matter what I did came out terrible .  
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @IrishDevl i agree about the cheaper cuts used to buy them from BJ's until i found a old fashion butcher got one from him and never looked back cost a little more but well worth it imho 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    bigphil said:
    @IrishDevl i agree about the cheaper cuts used to buy them from BJ's until i found a old fashion butcher got one from him and never looked back cost a little more but well worth it imho 
    I am with you, I had my daughters birthday once, bought the cuts at Shoprite and they were terrible - nothing could save them.  And it was the first egg experience for most at the table, so I was very unhappy.  Live and learn my friend.   
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    sixfive said:

Injection or no (what kind):  Never done it
    Marinate or no (what kind): 24 hours with rub of choice
    Direct/Indirect:  indirect
    Cook Temp: 275
    Meat Done Temp:  195-205
    Wrap in foil: Y / N N
    If so, at what temp/time: -
    Rub or no (what kind): Dizzy pig or my own
    Wood Type for smoke:  cherry
    Cook time (average):  1.5 hrs per pound
    CyberQ or no:  no
    Rest time:  cant wait to eat
    Other thoughts:

I have only done 3 butts. they have gotten better with each attempt. I found that i like it better when I add rub to the meat after I pull it.
  • lousubcap
    Options

As you note-there are many ways to get to great Q-for those who are looking for a good guide check out the following links-great resources for most of the questions that arise-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  The recipe section has a wealth of info on pulled pork.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/index.html more background info than you could digest.

all that said- here is my general butt cook-varies if I find a new recipe that calls for something different in the prep-

Injection or no (what kind):  Sometimes-see mo jo pork recipe
    Marinate or no (what kind): No
    Direct/Indirect:  Indirect
    Cook Temp: around 280*F +/- on the calibrated dome
    Meat Done Temp:  when the bone pulls clean-usually around 200*F
    Wrap in foil: Y / N-not during cook
    If so, at what temp/time: n/a
    Rub or no (what kind):  home-made following Willy's #1 From Smoke & Spice
    Wood Type for smoke:  cherry or apple
    Cook time (average):  1.5 hrs/#- the plan
    Rest time:  as required to pull when ready to eat.
    Other thoughts: prok butt is about as easy as it gets-hard to screw it up unless you lose the fire or pull too soon.

FWIW/YMMV

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options

Trying again no-links-but check out nakedwhiz.com and amazingribs.com for some eggcellent info/reference material.

Injection or no (what kind):  Not usually but depends if trying a new recipe
    Cook Temp: 280*F +/- on the calibrated dome
    Meat Done Temp:  when the bone pulls clean usually around 200*F
    Wrap in foil: Y / N not during cook
    Rub or no (what kind):  Homemade using Smoke & Spice Willy's #1
    Wood Type for smoke:  cherry or aple
    Cook time (average):  plan 1.5 hrs/#
    Rest time:  as needed to get to pull and eat time.
    Other thoughts:  many roads will get you there-

• lousubcap
    Options

As you note-there are many ways to get to great Q-for those who are looking for a good guide check out the following links-great resources for most of the questions that arise-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  The recipe section has a wealth of info on pulled pork.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/index.html more background info than you could digest.

all that said- here is my general butt cook-varies if I find a new recipe that calls for something different in the prep-

Injection or no (what kind):  Sometimes-see mo jo pork recipe
    Marinate or no (what kind): No
    Cook Temp: around 280*F +/- on the calibrated dome
    Meat Done Temp:  when the bone pulls clean-usually around 200*F
    Wrap in foil: Y / N-not during cook
    Rub or no (what kind):  home-made following Willy's #1 From Smoke & Spice
    Wood Type for smoke:  cherry or apple
    Cook time (average):  1.5 hrs/#- the plan
    Rest time:  as required to pull when ready to eat.
    Other thoughts: prok butt is about as easy as it gets-hard to screw it up unless you lose the fire or pull too soon.

FWIW/YMMV

• lousubcap
    Options

Trying again no-links-but check out nakedwhiz.com and amazingribs.com for some eggcellent info/reference material.

Injection or no (what kind):  Not usually but depends if trying a new recipe
    Cook Temp: 280*F +/- on the calibrated dome
    Meat Done Temp:  when the bone pulls clean usually around 200*F
    Wrap in foil: Y / N not during cook
    Rub or no (what kind):  Homemade using Smoke & Spice Willy's #1
    Wood Type for smoke:  cherry or aple
    Cook time (average):  plan 1.5 hrs/#
    Rest time:  as needed to get to pull and eat time.
    Other thoughts:  many roads will get you there-