Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mass Chaos!!!

I'm four hours into a two butt cook in prep for tonights game and my maverick will not stay synched.  To top that off my egg seems as if it has hit a stall its self, the thing has yet to get to 350*(doing the turbo method, or atleast trying). I hated to leave it but I went to church and with the bottom vent 3/4 open the thing was still at 300*. Oh wait it doesn't end there! How about 3/4 of my lump had been burned through. 

LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.

Comments

• Don't worry, you have plenty of time -- you can reload the lump and be back up to temperature quickly because the egg is already stabilized.
  • I'm going through a similar thing.. I must not have put enough lump in there.. Turboing a butt and Travis-styling a brisket at the same time.. Egg wouldn't get over 300 with the vents wide open.. I reloaded with lump and have it at 350.. Just be careful pulling all that hot stuff out.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    As you know, the BGE is all about air-flow for temperature control.  You need fuel, air and an ignition source and you are on your way.  Take away the air or fuel and the game is over.  If you are running with your vents set to something that doesn't seem right-it's not...could be a blocked lower grate or too little fuel etc. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • IF(?) you didn't ACTUALLY "stabilize" the egg before loading it with "product" this can easily happen.  The fire is trying to heat the entire inside of your egg, that alone is a slow process.  Throw two big chunks of meat in there at 40 degrees can slow it down even more -- then the operator opening and closing the dome while trying to figure whats going on inside???  I learnt how to operate with my bottom vent wide open(probably wrong?) but it works for me.  Stabilized means the egg is at the selected cooking temperature inside and out!!
  • Sorry I wasn't able to reply yesterday but surprisingly the two butts were done in six hours! Totally shocked me. I was not able to get pics and was not too impressed at the bark...or the lack there of. It seemed as if the outside stayed real wet and the rub did not get to caramelize the way I would have hoped. The butts I have done in the past using the turbo method had  a much better  outside appearance. Although I was not too happy the crowd on the other hand loved them!

I am curious if others are having to fill past the firebox and not having to add more during a cook when using the turbo method?

Oh well, it is just meat and lump and I am always having fun learning something new when using my Egg.
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I fill it up until it hits the plate setter (legs up).   Probably a good idea to check your thermometer with some boiling water if it finished faster than predicted.