Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baltimore Pit Beef

I gotta give a big thank you to all that offered up tips and suggestions on how to make this one. That's what makes this place so great. A wealth of knowledge and knowledgable people ready and willing to help out. I decided to go with Steven Raichlen's recipe that was posted in the New York Times. Unfortunately, the store had no top round when I went, so I settled on this 4lb round rump roast.

For the cook, I started off searing it at 450F

Then went indirect to finish it off. have I mentioned how much I love my AR from the Ceramic Grill Store?

BBQ makes a man thirsty! Check out that little bottle tag. Stacie got that as a sample from the trade show she was working in Vegas last week.

I pulled it at 125 and then let it rest for 30 minutes, but had to do a taste test for quality control purposes

After 30 minutes, it was time to break out the slicer that I got for Christmas for its maiden voyage

Thing worked pretty darn good

Maybe not as good as one from a deli, but for home use, it'll be fine

For the sandwich, it was a Kaiser roll, the beef, raw onions sliced thinly and topped with Tiger Sauce

I'm sure it was not authentic, but it was pretty freaking tasty. The meat was tender and the sharp, pungent flavor of the onion and the heat and creaminess of the Tiger Sauce just worked perfectly together. And now I got lunch meat for the rest of the week! We'll be doing this again for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Way to do Bawlmer proud, Hon!
  • Looks pretty close, maybe not 100% authentic but the onions and tiger sauce along with cutting it real thin are key---looks like a homerun.  I need to get one of those slicers, If not cut real thin it just isnt the same and hard to do consistently with a knife....nice job.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • This looks great.  This dish is always great the day of the cook.  For me, i can never warm it up for leftovers without it drying out, or over cooking it??  Any suggestions??
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Thanks @Eggcelsior for the compliment and the tips.

@chainsaw19 - I'm glad I got the slicer. Made quick work of it for sure.

@Charlie_tuna - thanks. I don't know about leftovers as we made this yesterday, but I got some with me for lunch. Hope it doesn't dry out or get overcooked.

Rowlett, Texas

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    In western NY we would put on Kimmekwick rolls with a little Au Jus
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great and made me hungry! 

I need to get a slicer, I made a turkey breast for lunch meat last week and might be making sandwich meat on the egg from now on.

I like the bottle tag, we had to get some wine ones otherwise my Aunt would have a drink from everyones glass but hers, so we really just needed one but got a set anyway. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Sa-weet!  I can never get mine sliced thin enough with just the electric knife.  I would love a slicer, but there is NO way I could ever justify buying it to the mrs.  That's a lotta real estate in an ever-shrinking pantry.  Even still, I'll likely google "meat slicers" here in the next minute or two.

Excellent post.  The tiger sauce/roast beef combo is always a winner. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

500 Posts: 3,177
    Jackh said:
    Beef on Weck! With a good dose of horseradish; very tasty.  When we went to Buffalo, we stopped at Charlie the Butcher for Beef on Weck.  Excellent sandwich.  Yours looks very good Griffin.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    That looks fantastic. Really need to consider one of those slicers.
  • Eggcelsior
    This looks great.  This dish is always great the day of the cook.  For me, i can never warm it up for leftovers without it drying out, or over cooking it??  Any suggestions??
    Reheat with some au jus or eat it cold like roast beef.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Very nice Grif!

Can I please get a link for the Tiger Sauce?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Griffin

I'll do ya one better @Focker

For the Tiger Sauce

• 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
    • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    • salt and pepper to taste

There's usually more pictures and a longer story on my blog of the cooks I do (not always, some aren't worthy) as well as full recipes and instructions, but I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have, if I can so feel free to ask away.

Rowlett, Texas

• Focker

Thanks for the full recipe!

I gotta try this.  Would have a hard time keeping my hands off that plate of meat!

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Griffin
    I was sampling as I was slicing. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Focker

:))

I would too

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    If your not shy, the horseradish can be a 1:1 ratio with mayonnaise.

Another variation is: 
    1 c Horseradish
    1 c Mayo
    2 tbsp dry mustard
    2 tbsp sour cream

Some even add S&Pand cayenne.

There is a cajun version made famous by Copeland's.

• Eggcelsior
    FWIW, I do the version Griffin posted, only I add the 1:1 ratio or even higher with the horseradish.

I put that s**t on everything!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

=P~
    That looks too good.  Definitely on my to do list. Now I have to go buy a slicer! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I know I'm gonna try it and try to hand slice it, looks too good not to.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2013
    Ok the cook is outstanding like always. Now the question: how is your grate "that" clean. Come on man, ease up on the rest of us :-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin

@Eggcelsior - I'd probably up the horsey next time, as well. I contemplated putting some cayenne in there.

@Mickey - if you are referring to the oval grate, a)mine's still pretty new. Just got it for Christmas and 2) it was sitting outside my egg the other week and mighta kinda sorta got rained on and c)I scrubbed it down prior to the cook. The original grate...not so much.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Yep the oval.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great Griff. One of my favorite cooks.
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Looks pretty damn tasty, You need some Apple Jack Shine for that meal. I know how much you enjoy those apples.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    you and your shine are both evil, @TUTTLE871

Rowlett, Texas

• Jackh said:
    and horseradish.  I love beef on weck!  (originally from Buffalo, NY here)
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    This looks great.  This dish is always great the day of the cook.  For me, i can never warm it up for leftovers without it drying out, or over cooking it??  Any suggestions??
    Just let the meat and sauce come up to room temp.  It's great that way too, and no need to dry out reheating.
    Alton Posts: 509
    YUMMMMY !!! LOOK AWESOME =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Tjcoley said:
    Just let the meat and sauce come up to room temp.  It's great that way too, and no need to dry out reheating.
    I'll have to try that  --- of course with that horseradish sauce recipe!!
    8-}
  • Griffin

@Charlie_tuna - took some for lunch yesterday. I let it come up to room temp and then nuked it for about 20-30 seconds with a damp paper towel covering it. I also tore it into bite sized pieces before making a sandwich and it seemed fine.

THinking about maybe chopping up the leftovers tonight and making a sorta kinda philly cheese steak out of it. Yeah, I know its not the rigth meat, but who cares?

Rowlett, Texas