Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Superbowl brisket - help

Options
Im making a briket for superbowl tomorrow, is a 13 pounds packer. I started about 3 hours ago, temp has been around 300, but had it aroun 330 for a little while. Temp right now on the brisket is 160, is that normal? Comments very appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    it will stall for a long time in the 160-170 range thats where the magic happens.  at 300 your probably in the 1 hour per pound range give or take.  sounds like your on the right path start checking for doneness in the thick part of the flat around 190ish and when it probes like butter your golden.
  • dgv
    dgv Posts: 41
    Options
    Btw, Set up is ps legs up, drip pan w/water.
  • dgv
    Options
    I think ive got the temp stabilized at 260 dome, 280 grid. Im afraid is going to be done sooner thet i expected. Whats the longest time recommended to ftc?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Here is a good explanation of FTC for long periods of time. I hope this helps. Naked Whiz Cooler Holding
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • dgv
    Options
    Thanks! Very informative.
  • dgv
    Options
    Thanks! Very informative.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If your grid thermometer is "in the shadow" of the plate setter or whatever is making the indirect shadow, and you think it's accurate - you may want to check the calibration of your dome thermo. It should be the same or 20-30F higher than the grate.

Options
    So, brisket torned out ok, it had good flavor and was pretty moist, but the crust was a bit dry and difficult to eat. Itmtook 19 hours to reach 200, then went ftc for 1.5 hours. I wonder what made the crust tough? I have a pic but i can upload it from my ipad. Overall i think it was a good first try. Thanks for the help and for all the info in this forum. For dessert, a romeo y julieta wide churchill!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    No problem the Naked Whiz website is like a consumer reports for all things Big Green Egg and a great place to find information as well as this forum. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.