Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Tandoori Chicken

Some friends were coming over, so didn't have much time to put this together. 

Found 2 cornish hens in the freezer. Decided to go with a prepared spice mix. Used the tandoori chicken mix and the broasted chicken mix 1:1. The broasted chicken mix is supposed to be a spicy batter, so if you grill it, it gets somewhat crispy.

Made the marinade.

Fired up the egg. Loaded everything onto the skewers.

Infused the chef with some Balvenie 15.

Grilled these at about 450 or something, about 10min each side. Here's how it all looked just before pulling.

Came out tasty with a nice kick to it. Not fancy, but it got the job done!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    nice! gotta get me somma dem skewers!
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I got mine at a Middle Eastern grocery store here - Phoenicia in Houston, I think.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Nice. Broast looks interesting, looks like it helped toned down the redness of the tandoori mix. Also although your marinade looks thin but I see plenty of it on the chicken, perhaps it's the batter ingredient of Broast helping that too. Have to give it a try some day. Did you leave the skin on? Guess with smaller pieces and the heat from the skewers, the skin won't char before the meat is cooked; was it crispy? I remove the skin since I usually cook whole leg quarters without skewers.
    canuckland
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! I am always looking for new ways to make chicken on the egg. I found similar skewers just a little smaller at a restaurant supply store and I think they had ones this size as well. 

Oh and I like your all important hydration station with close proximity to the BGE! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    Nice. Broast looks interesting, looks like it helped toned down the redness of the tandoori mix. Also although your marinade looks thin but I see plenty of it on the chicken, perhaps it's the batter ingredient of Broast helping that too. Have to give it a try some day. Did you leave the skin on? Guess with smaller pieces and the heat from the skewers, the skin won't char before the meat is cooked; was it crispy? I remove the skin since I usually cook whole leg quarters without skewers.
    I always take the skin off. I've never seen it left on. I think skin-on chicken is more of an American/Western thing. I don't know why commercial tandoori rubs/pastes always have that bizarre red color - when I make "tandoori" masala from scratch its never red!

The marinade was not very thin. There was maybe less than  a tablespoon left in the bowl after I skewered the chicken pieces. Since it was a cornish hen, I probably could have grilled it a few minutes less - I thought it could have been a little more moist. 

The broast mix has flour in it, so that helps everthing glom on to the chicken. Has a sort of creamy mouthfeel after grilling, and really helps the spices stick to the chicken. 

• caliking
    Solson005 said:
    Looks great! I am always looking for new ways to make chicken on the egg. I found similar skewers just a little smaller at a restaurant supply store and I think they had ones this size as well. 

Oh and I like your all important hydration station with close proximity to the BGE! 
    I love these skewers for the egg. The lid closes fairly tight against them so no air/heat leaks, and they are just the right length to lay across the LBGE. Easy to flip and turn. They don't have handles, so they do get hot!

The hydration station was just installed a few days ago, and its already proven its worth. My coffee mug fits in it too. No more worrying about knocking my beverage over in the heat of battle.

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Now that you mention it I think I have some Steven Raichlen ones I got as a gift years ago that would be perfect, now if only I can find them... I bought the smaller ones when I bought my Small egg last september but haven't used them yet. 

Gotta stay hydrated! 

I went ahead and bookmarked this so when I do find my skewers I don't have to search the forum to remember how to make this.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Love the drink holder.
  • caliking
    I gave my brother-in-law a set of the flat Raichlen skewers some time ago. Don't remember if they would fit across the egg though.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    I gave my brother-in-law a set of the flat Raichlen skewers some time ago. Don't remember if they would fit across the egg though.
    I just put some in my wish list, thanks to you ;)

They come in 18 and 22" lengths.  Easy nuff to hang one side out, so they should work for any sized egg.
    Found them!! Still in plastic in the box. I just scored some sweet eggcessories I got as a gift 5+ years ago. I didn't find much use for them with a gasser but will be adding them to some BGE cooks soon!

Here they are on my Small BGE

and the rest of my score!  

• Solson005.......How do you like the Egg Carten?  It looks like a nice rig although it looks a little bulky.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

nice! gotta get me somma dem skewers!

Dem be swords or skewers?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    @cali, my bad, thought I saw skin in the marinade, guess it's time for new glasses!

@solson005, thanks for the pic, reminded my I have those skewers too!
    canuckland
  • Solson005
    @cali, my bad, thought I saw skin in the marinade, guess it's time for new glasses!

@solson005, thanks for the pic, reminded my I have those skewers too!
    No problem this thread is what made me think of them too! 

Solson005.......How do you like the Egg Carten?  It looks like a nice rig although it looks a little bulky.
    I love the EggCarten it takes much of the worry about transporting the Small BGE which can be moved but is pretty awkward and a expensive opps if you drop it. It makes it easy to carry by yourself but with two people its a breeze. I put it in my maxima and used to have to put a seat belt around it and be very careful driving around, now it sits fine on a towel in the backseat. EggCARTen and the SBGE thats my post talking about it.