Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In middle of turbo cooking a butt, a question?

Larrymac
Larrymac Posts: 103
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
So far, so good.
Looks great, smells great.
Foil is now on, temp
Is now 172.
Have grill at 350.
My question is when it is done, and you take it off the fire and let it rest in a cooler for an hour, do you take the foil off or leave it on while resting in the cooler? Sorry pic is upside down

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Leave it on and throw in some newspaper or a towel to help insulate it. FTC is Foil Towel Cooler this is a good explanation of times it can be held safely. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • My temp dropping and flipping between 220 and 230. Gets to 230 I close vents and keeps dropping. Gets to 220 and I open it up a little and flies back up Any suggestions
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911

My temp dropping and flipping between 220 and 230. Gets to 230 I close vents and keeps dropping. Gets to 220 and I open it up a little and flies back up Any suggestions
    What I would do if you want to dial in the temp, is try making very small adjustments to either the door or the daisy wheel not both and wait a few minutes. The Egg retains so much heat that it takes a little bit to creep down but shoots up very quick. 10° isn't going to effect a long cook so just get it where it wants to settle at and cook it for there. sometimes the way you build the lump and the way your fire is burning doesn't like 10-20° +/- your target temp. Just cook your food to internal temp and keep it in the ballpark of where you want to be. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Just pulled my first turbo butt off The egg. Way more tender and juicy than I could've ever imagined. Injected with apple juice and rubbed with dizzy pig last night. Put on the grill at 11:00 and pulled off at 4:30.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Larrymac said:
     My question is when it is done, and you take it off the fire and let it rest in a cooler for an hour, do you take the foil off or leave it on while resting in the cooler? Sorry pic is upside down
    There is no need to let it rest or put it in a cooler.  TFC is for when the meat is done before you are ready to serve it. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.