Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New thermometer and probe time

Options
Can someone recommend a remote thermometer that works more ham a few times? Had a Maverick that died. Used it maybe 10 times. Don't want to waste more money on another one.

Any ideas?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    No matter which you buy, look on the package BEFORE you throw it away, and check the temperature rating of the probe wires.  Thats the biggest problem area.  The highest i have seen is 450 degrees.  Now consider that area of your egg that "open" directly exposed to the glowing lump below between the feet of the plate setter.  If you are cooking with a dome temperature of 375 degrees, the temperature in this exposed area is well above 500 degrees!!  Keep a couple of layers of foil wrapped around the first 12 to 18 inches of probe wire to protect this area of the probe cable..
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I did have the probe wires wrapped in foil.

Garnerville, NY
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Ditto above. Alway good to have your thermopen as a backup. Do you just need a replacement probe? It is common for them to get worn out due to high heat cooks or from linking the cable when handling. Just a couple things to watch out for next time around. Thermoworks products are pricey, but to of the heap in quality. BGE makes one, not sure who manufactures it for them, it could be a maverick in a BGE package.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Do you use the Maverick for high temperature cooks?  I don't really find the Mavericks info relevant when grilling so I don't subject the wiring and probes to really high temperature.

Gerhard
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Only for indirect cooks below 325.

Brisket, pork butt, chuck roast, turkey, prime rib, ribs (pit only). 6 times. Great stuff.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I found a Maverick replacement smoker probe that claims to be safe up to 716 degrees F but I have found a food probe that high http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET732-Replacement-Chamber-Probe/dp/B006XLWL7K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359902247&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Maverick+e73+replacement+probes

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @nolaegghead suggested a fix if water intrusion was what caused it to quit in Thermometers I use a DigiQ which is a expensive solution but I just wanted to pass along his advice to see if it could help you out. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I used Maverick's warranty CS and found them to be very very helpful and friendly.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!