Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinade Baby Back Ribs?

Options
Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
I'm looking to try my hand at some baby back ribs this weekend and my wife has requested that I try to mimic her favorite ribs (Zia Rotisserie and Grill Thia Ribs). A couple of problems with that; 1. the ribs at the resturant are St Louis style ribs, 2. I can get the suace that use (they sell it botttled) but I have no idea how they cook the ribs before they're sauced.

One of the things that I considered is marinading them before I smoke them. Is this something that is advisable or are there pitfalls I have not considered.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    1. Why not go ahead and cook the St Louis style? 

2.  I would check the sugar content.  If there is a high amount of sugar, it might burn when you cook them...so I would wait and add towards the end of the cook.  If the sugar is relatively low, then probably would not hurt. 

Hmmm...check this out: 

Looks like he applies sauce at the end.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Parallel
    Options
    Well, I could do St. Louis style but I already have babybacks. What I'm trying to figure out is if I use a regular dry rub; will that effect the flavor when finished with the Thai sauce? I'm thinking you're correct about the possibility of burning, so I'm gonna just do them dry first, but I'm not sure how I should season them.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

I'm sure the baby backs will turn out excellent as well.  I would probably go with a pretty simple dry rub like salt, pepper and garlic.  I'm sure if you want to add a little cayenne or some other heat it would go well with the thai sauce. 

They look really good.  I think if you were to throw the ribs on naked...then baste with the sauce, herbs, and toasted sesame seeds they would be outstanding. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chapsz28
    Chapsz28 Posts: 9
    Options

Ive tried all kinds of rubs... what we like is fresh cracked pepper.. kosher salt... a touch of garlic and onion powder... then smoke away! 

Doing ribs today.. and I'm experimenting with a marinade... basically same as my basic rub above  but used apple juice as a liquid...they smelled devine when I pulled them out of the marinade haha

• Parallel
    Options
    After all of my hand wringing it turns out that Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin goes very well with the Thia sauce that we glazed the ribs with. I did use a spray bottle with some apple juice each hour as well as a tsp in each foil pouch the last hour.