Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New here! DIY Stainless table questions....

I've been oggling my dad's egg for a few years now.  He called me yesterday and said, "Merry Christmas Danielle, go buy yourself a Large BGE on me."

Best. Dad. Ever.

Needless to say, I've been eating up all of your posts since.  My biggest concern at the moment is a home for my new baby.  My dad said he'd buy me an egg and a nest... but, I was thinking that for the $141 price tag of a nest, I could spend a little bit more and get something way better for the money.  I found a used stainless steel kitchen prep table (7 feet long!) on Craigslist for $200.  Before I buy it, I'd like to know a few things:

1.) How do I cut it?  I've read on other threads that I should use a plasma cutter but that's just not feasible.  Other people say a jig saw will do it but my father-in-law (the owner of the jig saw I would be using) looked at me like I had three heads when I suggested it would cut stainless.  If you used a jig saw, what blade did you use and how many did it take?  Did it work? Tips?

2.) Do I need to put anything under my egg or can it just sit on the lower (solid) stainless steel shelf?  Will heat be an issue if I do this?  Should I put a tile or something between the shelf and the egg?

3.) I plan to get a platesetter right away.  Is there anything else I MUST have immediately?

4.) Thoughts on covers?  I live in New England...

Thanks!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    1.  Jig saw with a stainless cutting blade - 18tpi.  http://www.ehow.com/how_5883908_cut-stainless-steel-jigsaw.html

2. You can put it directly on the stainless shelf.  If you get any warping from the heat it should un-warp after it cools, but you can always put some feet or a brick down.

3. A good digital instant read thermometer.

4. There are some threads on covers.  The egg and stainless table are pretty weather resistant, but if you want to find a good cover, there are some threads on this forum dedicated to covers.
    Forget the plate setter. Get an adjustable rig with an indirect stone. Gives you allot more options. I used the plate setter once. Now it's in the shed somewhere for over 8 months.

Where in New England ?

Garnerville, NY
  • 3. i bought a plate setter with my egg because a heat deflector is completely necessary, however looking back i would skip it and get an adjustable rig with stones for sure. 

ceramicgrillstore.com 

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Take it to a shop and have them cut it. The only accessory you'll ever need is a mangrate.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    *1 on skipping the setter. Get the adjustable rig customer combo, which comes with the ceramic heat barrier/stone.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Adjustable rig with extension no need in cover you will use it 4 times a week or more takes time to cool down.
  • If you are slightly handy build your own table. My dad and I built two tables for $200, sealed and all.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Like mentioned prior a good instant read thermo. The most popular is thermapen. I have a diff brand but top purchase.
    I also have plate setter but wish I had bought AR and stone. It gives more options. I'll eventually break down and buy one.
    Boom
  • esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    Spend a few bucks and have a metal shop cut the hole and finish it. The cost of having it cut will probably be less than the cost of the stainless cutting blades. and the shop can finish the edges on the hole as well.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    If you have a steady hand, a pair of electric shears will cut up to 18 guage very easily. The edges can be finished off very smooth with a fine file. Very easy project if you're careful and patient.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    esdd said:
    Spend a few bucks and have a metal shop cut the hole and finish it. The cost of having it cut will probably be less than the cost of the stainless cutting blades. and the shop can finish the edges on the hole as well.

I agree with esdd. What you spend on blades you can probably have your local sheet metal, welding or body shop cut it and end up with a nicer end product than if you tried to do it yourself. I love stainless but it is a tough material to work with. Not a good project for a novice.

Just my opnion.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dani_p
    dani_p Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone!  I'll skip the platesetter.  I have an adjustable rig customer combo from the ceramic grill store on it's way here.  I'll look into metal shops to cut the hole...  There's one right down the street from me if I'm not mistaken.  

Egg gets delivered next week!

@robnybbq I live in Central Mass.  Just moved here from Seattle.  Loving it so far. :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Make sure you have the hole measurements correct....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I've made a few cuts on my stainless steel table.  I drew the circle and cut it with a angle grinder.  It was a bit of a pain due to the supports under the surface, but nothing that stopped me. 

I had a large in the table at first and tried to use a wood stove woven gasket to trim the rough metal edge.  That didnt really work out very well.  Even though it was fiberglass and wouldnt rot, it did get some mold after a year outside. 

I upgraded to an XL and had to reinforce the shelf to hold the extra weight.  When I cut the larger hole on the table top, I used some silicone edge trim from mcmaster-carr.  I think i bought 7 feet of it and that was perfect to trim the big hole for my XL.  I glued it on using Red high temp RTV.  It was a little messy, but in the end, looks fantastic. 

http://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=lafz2f
    (i bought "High Temperature Rubber Edge Trim 1/16" Opening, 3/8" Inside Depth" 4869A1)

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    before dropping 2 bills on a stainless table and endure the hassle of retrofitting, you might check a weld shop and powder coating companies to see what it would cost to make one specifically to your needs.  1/8" x 1" (or so) square tube is easy to work for a metal guy and if you powder coat, it should hold up to the elements.  Then all you need is a top, thin stainless, granite or synthetic material.....could be a fun winter project.  

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    BGE makes "beanie " covers now that just cover the dome top and gasket. I recommend getting one. I have heard of people purchasing flexible metal trim from auto zone store to trim out hole edges. Buy in chrome and it basically matches the SS.