Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters

BBQ_Greg
BBQ_Greg Posts: 9
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I received a surprise gift of about two dozen fresh oysters in the shell.  The XL BGE has been smoking all day with 6 racks of ribs at a temp of 225 degrees.  So, I already have a fire going and the plate setter in place.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to do the oysters on the egg?  Ribs come off in about another hour and a half.

Comments

• There are some posts on fire roasted oysters...I'm using my phone, or I would find it for you.

I personally prefer them raw, on the half shell. We are headed out in about an hour to a restaurant in Maine for some very fresh oysters. All from new England.

Hope they turn out well for you.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013
    Outstanding when Travis did them (opened them) at the Salado EggFEest. I was in Fl with a box and what you see is all we could get open. Ended up tossing the damn box out. No they don't just pop open by putting on the fire! But once you get them open and a little garlic butter and cheese WOW...image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Put them over the fire and they may not pop open, but they get easier to open. Only a couple on minutes required. They should still be filled with salt water when they are eaten. When opening bushels, which is way they are normally sold, a large sheet on metal is usually placed over an outdoor fire.
    Enjoy

Bob

Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Put them over the fire and they may not pop open, but they get easier to open. Only a couple on minutes required. They should still be filled with salt water when they are eaten. When opening bushels, which is way they are normally sold, a large sheet on metal is usually placed over an outdoor fire.
    Enjoy

Bob

We gave that a try but DAMN they were hot...... Just not our day
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Drago's style...best way I've had them besides slurping them down raw.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/03/19/dragos-style-charbroiled-oyster-recipe/
  • A friend sent me some Maine oyster for Christmas.  I couldnt find my oyster knife so I just put them on the egg for a few minutes and they were just as salty and tasty as the couple I opened raw.  It really surprised me how good they were.  I can't wait to try it again.
  • Thanks for the input folks.  When I looked at Drago's Stye I got a wild idea to just put the roasted garlic butter I had just made on the oysters.  I then put a drop of lemon juice on each and topped with parmesan and Romano cheeses. 

Since I had some BGE Basic Rub handy I sprinkled that on some just to give it a try.  On a few others I sprinkled with cayenne.  Most I sprinkled with nothing.

The BGE was still hot from the ribs I had just taken off so I set the oysters (1/2 shell) on the rack until the cheese melted.

Turned out very nicely.

Thanks for the help folks!