Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shrimp/grits

Options
Anyone have a recipe that's not overly complicated? I searched BGE still couldn't find what I'm looking for. After typing and reading that before posting I feel I should add I'm not cooking for U2.

Thanks
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I like to skewer the shrimp along with chorizo, then brush on a mixture of EVOO, rosemary and thyme. For the grits, I usually replace the water with heavy cream and chicken stock. Then stir in cream cheese toward the end. Here is a pic from awhile back. That was with some homemade chorizos that I had made (Steven Raichlen's Spicy Chorizo recipe)...

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Did you mean to hit disagree? We like it this way, but there are lots of different varieties. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like smoked gouda (?spelling) in the grits.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one I like, you can just substitute small shrimp for the sausage or place the shrimp on top after cooked.  Have a friend from Charleston who serves them with BBQ sauce on top.

Here is the recipe.

Grits, Cheese, Sausage, Baked, Richard Fl.

This recipe is modified from the package of Jim Dandy enriched quick grits. Some Southerners will take offense to the "quick", but time is important when you are hungry.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Cups Water or Chicken Stock-I used stock
    1 tsp Salt
    1 1/3 Cups Jim Dandy Quick Oats
    1-2 Cups Shredded, Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    1/2 Cup Butter or margarine, I used butter
    1 1/4 Cups Milk
    4 Eggs, Beaten
    1/2 tsp Ground Red Pepper or a hot sauce of choice.
    12 Ozs Spicy ground sausage
    1/2 Onion, Diced

PROCEDURE:
    1 Heat oven or BGE indirect to 350°F. I greased a 7 x 11 baking dish abd lined it with parchment paper.
    2 I have taken the sausage and onion and cooked, then drained the grease off.
    3 In a large saucepan combine the liquid, butter and salt. Bring to a boil. Gradually stir in the grits. Reduce the heat to low and cover for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally..
    4 Remove from heat and add 1 cup of cheese, sausage and onions, stir until melted. Add milk, eggs blended and pepper.
    5 Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish. I lined mine with parchment paper. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top.
    6 Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
    7 I like to take 1/2 inch slices the next morning and warm up and serve with eggs.

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/02/17

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'd disagree with @Dyal_SC. He uses them there 5 minute grits from what I done did hear. :P

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    I loathe you, Griffen. :D You can kiss my grits. ;)

That looks incredible, Kristi!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Did you mean to hit disagree? We like it this way, but there are lots of different varieIties. :)

Sorry been...had a 36 hour day Wed-Thur. Still punch drunk...I think I took it off...let me know. Sorry again.
  • henapple
    Options

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not... but I make a version of Bobby Flay's Shrimp & Grits. It's not on the BGE, but there is no reason you couldn't.

Shrimp and Grits

His recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/shrimp-and-grits-recipe/index.html

That's funny...it's the one swmbo and I landed on. Great minds think alike...yours and I'm sure you know someone else.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You know you love me Dying_tobefrom_NC. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
     You can kiss my grits.
    Well played!  :D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I make the ones like Kristi shows but I add sauteed mushrooms to mine.
    Come to think of it, I add sauteed mushrooms to everything
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    I usually only cook shrimp/grits when all is quiet on New Year's day....just sayin'
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    This is the recipe from our favorite local restaurant. I made my own tasso on the egg because I couldn't find it in town. http://www.wbir.com/life/recipes/recipe.aspx?id=1182
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

This may not qualify as "not overly complicated" , but attached is a link to the recipe for Grits a Ya Ya from the Fish House in Pensacola.  My wife grew up there, and this is her all-time favorite dish, and I love it too.   And, if my endorsement doesn't hold much weight, it's also approved by @travisstrick

http://www.pensacolacelebritychefs.com/recipes/recipes-grits-a-ya-ya.php

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    This is from Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, NC. This recipe is absolutely fantastic. I first ate them during a trip last spring; my husband, who snorted when I suggested he order them, too, tried to eat the majority of my dinner. I've made them several times at home. 

I don't think the egg would add much, though. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • henapple
    Options
    There you go..
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    Anyone have a recipe that's not overly complicated? I searched BGE still couldn't find what I'm looking for. After typing and reading that before posting I feel I should add I'm not cooking for U2. Thanks
    It's going to be a Sunday Bloody Sunday for the Super Bowl. One of the teams will wind up at The Heartbreak Hotel. It will be a Sort of Homecoming for the victors. The Egg is like a Miracle Drug in that it works in Mysterious Ways. While they play in that City of Blinding Lights, the egg will have an Unforgettable Fire. Your food will be Even Better Than The Real Thing. Take Pride(In The Name Of Love) on this Beautiful Day!
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    henapple said:
    Anyone have a recipe that's not overly complicated? I searched BGE still couldn't find what I'm looking for. After typing and reading that before posting I feel I should add I'm not cooking for U2. Thanks
    It's going to be a Sunday Bloody Sunday for the Super Bowl. One of the teams will wind up at The Heartbreak Hotel. It will be a Sort of Homecoming for the victors. The Egg is like a Miracle Drug in that it works in Mysterious Ways. While they play in that City of Blinding Lights, the egg will have an Unforgettable Fire. Your food will be Even Better Than The Real Thing. Take Pride(In The Name Of Love) on this Beautiful Day!
    Errrrr......huh?  I tripped through your wires on this post.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Griffin said:

You know you love me Dying_tobefrom_NC. ;)

:x I do, you charming son of a gun. :D
  • henapple
    Options
    Used the pictured rub on DVand some with swamp venom. Swmbo cooked the grits. Really good. The Loveless Cafe rub is really good...
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Yum!!! Now I am craving shrimp and grits... Thx. ;)