Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Formula for calculating cook time for pulled pork

Options
Trying to go to sleep after my Maverick woke me a third time, I realized I could calculate a base cook time with a simple formula. Assuming you turbo a butt at 375, it cooks at an hour per pound. 10 lbs... 10 hours. So by taking the weight, multiplying it by 375 and dividing by the grill temp, you get a ballpark figure. I know, a formula. But you think of some off the beaten path stuff when you're sleep deprived. So a 9 pounder at 225... 9 x 375=3375. Divide that by 225 and it should take 15 hours to cook a 9 pounder at 225. A 6 pounder at 250 would take 9 hours. Seem right? I cooked mine last night at 280. Formula says 12 hours. Mine took 11:40. The hickory chunks created a few temperature spikes, the timing matches. With so many camps on cook temps for the butt, this just seemed to make sense. Nothing is absolute, but it's good for planning purposes. My sleep deprived two cents. By the way, the pulled pork tasted divine. Thanks for all your help and advice

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think that I can apply the scientific method for butts several times to shore up your theory. It seems sound so far.

It's funny how so much greatness has been created on the edge of psychosis.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Please define grill temp above-whether the BGE dome temp or the temp at the cooking grid level will impact the ball-park accuracy of the calculations...kinda like the square root of 3 equals 2 for large values of 3 :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    I went off the grid temp from the Maverick. Still don't know why this came to me... beats counting sheep. Funny, by using the dome temp provided by BGE, it read 290-295 most of the night, my formula hits dead on. Again, just a guide for a ballpark estimate. I guess I'm the blind squirrel who found an acorn.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited February 2013
    Options

I think a ten pound butt cooked "turbo style" will cook a lot less than twn hours.  I try to stay around eight pounds on my butts.  They take about two and a half hours @ 250 degrees dome, during the open "smoke" portion(internal temperature of 160 degrees), and get wrapped and returned to a 350 to 375 degree indirect temperature till they reach 210 degrees.  The internal temperature increase rate(minutes per degree rise) remains fairly constant once it starts increasing.  It sails right thru the "plateu".  If i am busy with something else, i will time the degree of rise and multiply the number of degrees needed to reach 210, and return at that time to take the butt off.  It's usually right on the money..

[img]http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/2728charlietuna/AugustPorkButt011-1.jpg[/img]

I also think each butt's "rate of temperature rise" is slightly different due to it's fat make up.  They seem to change butt to butt.  I notice this when i am cooking multiple butts.