Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butts are "DA BOMB"

Options
I followed @Mickey's instructions and the turbo butt turned out amazing! Coated with olive oil then rubbed with Dizzy Dust. In the fridge over night. Then turbo'd the thing today. 5.5 lb bone in.... 350 dome for 3.5 hrs until it hit 160 IT, then foiled, 2 more hours @ 350 and pulled @ 200 IT. Wrapped in towels and put in cooler until SWMBO got home. Also made baked beans on the egg and made some Hawaiian cole slaw. Everything was great. Turbo is the way to go. I think it was better and more moist than the low and slow I done last week.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• bccomstock
    Options
    Nice!  I think I'm going to be turboing a butt and a brisket Sunday.. Good to know the steps you took.

How was the bark?  I've never coated anything with olive oil.. Usually use yellow mustard.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Told you so :)] Next is the Turbo Ribs..... Man that meal looks good. Never herd of the olive oil ( mustard yes) something new to try.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Looking good. Turbo Butt is on the menu for Sunday. Just for the 500 crew so plenty of leftovers coming. Turbo Butt Nachos, Turbo Butt Pizza, Turbo Butt...
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks real good!!! Gonna have to try this "Turbo" method soon

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Bring them over one at a time Mickey...one at a time. 
    :))
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I dont use oil or mustard.. I didn't notice a difference.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Thanks everyone. BTW the bark was good too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2013
    Options

The pulled pork looks great.  I will have to give this another try.  I have attempted a couple of times and they were fine, just not as good as my overnighters.  Perhaps I was waiting too long to foil (think I foiled at about 180). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.