Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you make/bake/cook while your egg cools down?

Options
I feel like I'm wasting heat and an opportunity to cook something on the egg whenever I'm done making the entree and close it up to cool down. This past weekend, I made some pizzas. My sister was visiting and happened to be baking some pies, so I snagged one and baked it in the egg as it cooled down.

Folks with wood fired ovens often bake in it after the pizzas are done. What do other eggheads usually do? Any recipes for bread, desserts etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    After baking pizza, we often put something on the egg for dessert like grilled fruits (pineapple) or cookies. We also like to grill marshmallow on a stick like we do on a campfire.

i have cooked plenty of cookies after a cook but never with the egg completely closed and cooling down.  I would feel like this my not be the best idea. high risk for flashback.  also as the fire dies out youll prolly get some nasty tasting or nasty to your body smoke falling on that food.

you are talking about rain cap on and vent closed.. the cool down?? 

Now you could ramp your vent settings down way low and use it while its coming down...

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2013
    Options
    i have cooked plenty of cookies after a cook but never with the egg completely closed and cooling down.  I would feel like this my not be the best idea. high risk for flashback.  also as the fire dies out youll prolly get some nasty tasting or nasty to your body smoke falling on that food.

Now you could ramp your vent settings down way low and use it while its coming down...
    Yes - cool down means that the bottom vent is closed and the rain cap is on. 

Smoke may be an issue - I don't know, so I'll just have to try and see what happens. When I cook in my tandoor, we place a steel pot full of chickpeas and a lot of water to sit in the coals all night. Pick it up in the morning and the chickpeas are done - without any nasty smoke taste. The walls of my tandoor are much thicker (full firebricks) so it retains heat far longer than the egg does, but I was hoping to be able to do something similar with the egg.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

For the pineapple, everything is closed. For the cookies it depends on the timing but typically, everything is closed. We never had a problem with nasty smoke.

For the marshmallow, the top is open because this is where we insert the rods...

Options
    Nothing fancy, but whenever I make pizza, I try to have a head or two of garlic on hand.  Slice the top of the head off, set upright on a square of tinfoil, scruntch the foil enough to hold the garlic upright (do not enclose it completely) and then smear a bit of olive oil on the cut surfaces.  Just toss them onto the pizza stone before you close it down.
    The heat softens the garlic and makes it very mild, with just enough smoke to taste in simple dishes like pasta with oil, black pepper and garlic (just squeeze the flesh out of the skins like toothpaste) or just spread the soft garlic onto a crostini, Yum!  
    Interesting point brought up in the above posts; once you close up the Egg the coals are still hot, and giving off uncombusted volatiles, not smoke.  I haven't noticed a bad taste in the garlic, but that might be a good taste test to try.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Baked apples are also good.  Just core the apple, then add some butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc and put them on the egg once it cools down to about 350.  Leave them on until they are nice and soft.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I would agree that there would be no smoke, because the oxygen supply is snuffed out.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for all these wonderful suggestions. I especially like the ideas for fruit desserts as we are trying to eat healthier. 

@Botch: Do you keep the garlic for later use or use it that day? Does it need to be removed from the skins and kept under olive oil in the refrigerator? 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    caliking @Botch: Do you keep the garlic for later use or use it that day? Does it need to be removed from the skins and kept under olive oil in the refrigerator? 
    Both, although I've never kept it for more than a few days (and I usually keep it in the skins); 500's post is interesting, hmmm.... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.