Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo style chicken without "sauce" ideas?

Anyone got any good wing (chicken breast) recipes for Buffalo style without using the bad hot sauce (trying to be healthy).

Is there a rub that tastes just like the hot sauce (For example red hot or Franks)?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Frank's isn't really that bad for you.  I've been using boneless skinless chicken breasts with Frank's over the last few weeks.  They are really good.

Here's the nutritional value take from Frank's website:

Net Wt.: 12 FL.OZ. (354 mL)

Nutrition Facts

Serving size:
    1 tsp. (5 mL)
    Servings:
    Calories:

Amount Per Serving % DV*
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g  
    Sodium 190mg 8%
    Total Carb. 0g 0%
    Protein 0g  
    Vitamin A 2%

* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on 2,000 calorie diet.

INGREDIENTS:

Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Natural Flavor and Garlic Powder

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    0 calories - did not realize that. 

Garnerville, NY
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Franks is fine....it's the butter that usually gets added to it to make Buffalo sauce that can be considered "bad".....depending on your current diet. For low carb, the butter is fine. I just don't go overboard with it.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    robnybbq said:
    0 calories - did not realize that. 
    Its when you mix the melted butter for your wing sauce that it gets bad for you
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ive g ot a good marinade that has soy and franks  but im assumming you dont want the salt. found this on the web

http://www.buffalowings.org/dry-rub-buffalo-wings-recipe.html

this is similar to how i do them but add vinnegar, no lemon, and half the soy, then cayenne and chipotle to kick it up

i also marinate them for a couple days
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/409586/georgia-chicken-wing-recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited January 2013
    nm
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    The usually sauce is half Frank's and half butter with a little vinegar. The problem is the wings swim in the stuff. For a lower fat variety, I plan to brush the sauce lightly on the wings instead of dumping it in a bowl. 

I don't think any rub alone will do it because you will miss the vinegar tang of Frank's. You can try just sprinkling the wings with Frank's, but you might not be able to control the heat. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Frank's has a new Kicking BBQ Sauce which would be great on wings for BBQ Buffalo Wings. It's not as spicy as the Buffalo Wing Sauce but it does have a bit of a kick. You'll know it's Frank's. I realize this doesn't address your question per se but it is another option.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'm assuming the sauce is bad as far as you are concerned because of the butter in it. I think it will be very hard to get something as flavorful, because its the fat in the sauce adds a lot to the flavor.

But, in regards to your question about rubs, I'd have to say that I don't know of anything that would replicate the taste of the sauce, because part of the sauce taste is the vinegar in the pepper sauce. There are only a few pepper sauces that don't use vinegar as the fluid for the solution.

You could try making your own rub. There are online sources for whats called powdered vinegar. Mix that w. some cayenne, maybe some celery powder, a touch of salt. !your own buffalo rub!

Also, I recall reading a Martha Stewart recipe for making buffalo-style chicken meatballs. It seemed to me to be a recipe for mini croquettes.I don't know how removing the butter from the recipe would change how the meatballs hold together, but mixing ground chicken w. the spices and some eggs and breadcrumbs would put the flavor all thru the meat. Maybe add a little gelatin to the mix to substitute for the oil lubrication.

BTW, the only diet that has ever made me loose weight was simply not eating. Its this very ancient method called fasting. Hard work also really helps. During the warm weather, I was walking briskly at least 2 miles a day. Now, in this miserable cold and snow, I don't walk much, and have gained 10 lbs. Grrrr.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    I would just bbq up some chicken wings on the egg using any rub you want. They will be so tasty that you will not need sauce but you could always squirt some straight hot sauce or BBQ sauce on top. Don't toss the wings in the sauce, just squirt a little bit on top and you will use less of it and be OK. Egged food is so good that no sauce is needed. I usually do this with wings or thighs.
    Chester County, PA
  • Heavy on the Swamp Venom rub and light on the Blues Hog / Tn Red mixture makes for some good hot wings.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I have never tried it, but I have seen this exact dry rub at William Sonoma called "buffalo chicken rub" . . . here is the link.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Franks also makes a bottled "buffalo wing sauce"which is better than the homemade mix it yourself with butter.

When mixing at home I have found that if i use a butter substitute, like "smart balance" it turns out great. That saves on some fat, calories, and a ton of cholesterol. I also as mentioned above usually brush on the sauce after cooking as opposed to shaking the wings in a tub of it. I don't know how hot you like things,but I am usually very happy drowning them in straight up franks too.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I like a mixture of:
    1 part Crystal (Shout out to me NOLA friends)
    1 part Worchestshire sauce
    1/2 part Italian dressing
    1/2 part lemon juice
    1/2 part ketchup

I like to add red pepper flakes, cayenne, and Tony C's if its for adults and will omit that if its for the kids.

Very simple, tasty poultry marinade
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Try Old Bay spice as a rub.  It's unexpectectly good!
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Try suing honey for butter Jackh
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    William Sonoma makes a pretty good buffalo flavored rub.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I like a mixture of any non sugar rub of your choosing mixed ~ 3:1 with raw sugar.  Caramelizes real nice.  I usually go 375 raised direct for an hour, flipping every 10 minutes.  You can spice it up really well with something like swamp venom.  Our house favorite is a mixture of Butt Rub and raw sugar.  
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I always use Franks, it tastes as good as the buttery buffalo wing sauce imo.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33

I think Quaker Steak and Lube has the best hot sauce for wings (see link below).  It is really not bad for you.  As far as Frank's, it got me through some of hte horrible food in college. 

https://www.costore.com/quakersteak/productenlarged.asp?peid=83&pid=3106045