Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little Red Piggys and Skinless Chicken

Okay, I fought this one and about threw everything away. I will calm a little and post another day about the Royal Oak I used. Anyway, I figure if I had bacon on my taters, I better pull the skin on the chicken. All was great but was on for 2 1/2 hours at 200° (RO sucks)

Anyways.... it did happen, here is a photo.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    bigguy136 said:

Okay, I fought this one and about threw everything away. I will calm a little and post another day about the Royal Oak I used. Anyway, I figure if I had bacon on my taters, I better pull the skin on the chicken. All was great but was on for 2 1/2 hours at 200° (RO sucks)

Anyways.... it did happen, here is a photo.

Nice cook. Tell me about the royal oak. I used it for the first time in a year last night and will not use it again. It took an hour to burn clean. It is the only lump I get that smells like chemicals. Done with it.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Interesting. I've gone through bags and bags of the stuff and have never had a problem getting a high temp nor has it taken a long time to burn the smell off. Actually, I think it gets hotter faster than most of the other brands I can usually find locally.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I've used 100% RO over the last year (over 100 bags) and always worked great. Over the last month, it hasn't burned as long as normal. This cook, I had some half burned Cowboy. I dumped some RO on top. Grill went to 350° and I added food. Temps dropped to 200° after 30 minutes. The Cowboy finished burning and the RO (USA made) wouldn't light. I had to pull everything out and top off with more Cowboy and kept going. Not happy. I thought I got some bad RO in the past and picked up a couple of new bags. Still crap. The old RO would be lit and to temp in 20 minutes. The last few months, it doesn't light and 10 lbs will burn in 12 hours at 250°.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• RO is the only things ever been in my egg. Very pleased.

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sounds less like RO sucks and more like you've been getting a bad batch. Perhaps it was wet? I have almost exclusively used RO with great results.

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I've had great luck with Royal Oak, and terrible luck with Cowboy.  I've heard that the smaller bags of both (8.8 lbs vs 20lb bags) tend to be worse performers.  The only reason I can think of is where you've purchased it, how it's handled, etc.  For example, the Home Depot carries Cowboy, and the pallets have obviously been manhandled-- crushed/misshapen bags, probably left outside in the lawn and garden department.  I get RO from Menards, and everything looks neat and tidy.  Less handling, fewer small pieces, and much less powder. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Have always had really good results with RO over Cowboy and WG.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    I've been using RO for years now. Never had a problem with it until recently. Not sure if its quality is declining, or if they are putting out bad batches in my area. Chubbs, that may be what you are experiencing too since you and I are in the same area. Seems like in the last few months, it takes the RO at least 45 minutes to burn clean, the fire doesn't last as long, and I'm getting lots of crackle and pop. Used to not be that way, but maybe I've just been getting bad batches in my area recently.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Back to the food. Man that looks good! And I love the name of the you picked out for the spuds.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Royal Oak all the way here, it is the EXACT same stuff as the over priced BGE brand and I have never had an issue with a 20+ hour cook with only a half bag of lump.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Dyal_SC said:

I've been using RO for years now. Never had a problem with it until recently. Not sure if its quality is declining, or if they are putting out bad batches in my area. Chubbs, that may be what you are experiencing too since you and I are in the same area. Seems like in the last few months, it takes the RO at least 45 minutes to burn clean, the fire doesn't last as long, and I'm getting lots of crackle and pop. Used to not be that way, but maybe I've just been getting bad batches in my area recently.

Exactly. And we are close. RO I have now sucks. I use Nature Glo for old Timey meat market. 20lbs is $16.00. Great stuff. Big pieces, clean burn, and long lasting.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    td66snrf said:
    Back to the food. Man that looks good! And I love the name of the you picked out for the spuds.

I wanted to go with taterpigs but others keep saying little red piggys.

Big Lake, Minnesota