Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Bake, 2lb Country Loaf!

Options

I've been baking bread for quite some time and recently jumped back in after my starter died a while back and since becoming a new egg owner.  I had to hack my lodge pans a bit to fit the medium egg but who needs clunky handles anyway :)

Using the great book by Chad Robertson, 'Tartine', I cultured a new starter last week and fired off my first loaf over the weekend to great success.  I wanted to try it out on the egg, so after storing away in the fridge overnight, I did the first loaf in the egg and the second in the oven.  I need to make a few adjustments for the egg, but it turned out good and is cheaper and much better than anything you can buy!

Just for reference, these are 1kg 75% hydration, 2.25% salt, 10% wheat country loafs made using a natural leavener.

Mark

imageimageimage

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cigar...looks tasty. Been smoking any good ones?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    CigarSmokinEgger Posts: 213
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks Sir!  Had a Rocky Patel Java Mint while the first loaf baked off this morning, getting ready for a Sungrown :)

Mark

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wow those looks great. i made some hoagie rolls this past weekend but i did them in the oven so i did not take pictures. welcome to the forum. you will find there are severqal "bread masters" around here i am NOT one of them i dont have enough practice with it i have only been doing it about a year total and that's counting taking the last couple years off due to low attendence at the house (divorce) :D oh well i'm getting back into it i tried earlier this year making a sourdough starter. with complete failure. oh well i will try again. once again your loaves look great!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Welcome, and Thank You!  I haven't seen a lot of bread bakers on this forum; I like playing with pizzas and an honest-to-goodness baker will be great to bounce ideas off of.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

TB, thanks on both counts!  I'll have to search out some of those experts and see what I can learn, really love digging into this site and doing a lot of reading.

And thanks Botch!  I'm by no means an expert but I've been able to achieve results that make me happy :)  I quit buying pizza once I could nail my own dough and it's been on ever since.  All started when I took my wife to Paris a few years back and wanted a real French baguette and discovered I'd have to make my own if I wanted the real deal, from there, it was a quick leap to French macarons, various pastry then onto the savory stuff!  I'll be more than happy to help where I can.  I got a ton of information from pizzamaking.com, the book I mentioned, Tartine and anytihng from Peter Reinhart.

Mark

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @ CigarSmokinEgger those look fantastic, very well done. Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing. 

Do you have access to a good sourdough starter now? 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Looks great, like the blistered crust.

Gerhard
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those loaves look fantastic! We have a plethora of Vietnamese bakeries in Houston who make good baguettes. Just got Peter Reinhart's American Pie and am learning a lot, but I'm new to pizza and baking. Great to see your bread. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

Thanks again y'all, appreicate the comments and the welcome aboard!  Caliking, I know Houston pretty well, used to do a lot of business there, so I know what you mean, there's some great food in that town!

Hey @ CigarSmokinEgger those look fantastic, very well done. Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing. 

Do you have access to a good sourdough starter now? 

Cheers -
    B_B

B_B, The starter I'm currently using, I cultivated myself using the guide in the book Tartine.  Take a small clear bowl and fill it half way with water.  Using your hands, mix in enough flour (50/50 bread/wheat) to make a thick batter.  Cover with kitchen towel for 2-3 days.  When it smells like a funnky ripe French cheese, it's ready to use.  Stir thoroughly, then portion 20g (discard rest) into a fresh bowl, add 100g water and stir to mix, add 100 flour mix and stir, then cap with a lid.  Feed (portioning off 20g, discarding rest then adding 100g water and 100g flour) every 24 hours until the rsie and fall is predictible. 

I need to order an Ishia starter so I can start making pizza again, but I'll use the starter I have currently since I'm in a pinch to make the pizza doughs today for Superbowl Sunday!

Mark