Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Pizza w/ Pics

bccomstock
bccomstock Posts: 338
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
On a whim today, I threw together my first pizza on the BGE.. I cheated as far as dough (Pepe's) and sauce (Ragu) were concerned, but it's what I had handy.

My wife wanted her half with mixed cheese, pepperoni and bacon.. I did my half with provolone, pepperoni, bacon and diced jalapeños..

The pizza really came out great and had a good crunch to the crust.. I spread out the dough with a rolling pin on a Pampered Chef stone and put it in the Egg at 350 for about 15 minutes to get the crust going.  Then I took it out and put the toppings on and let it cook between 350 and just over 400 for another 15 minutes or so.  No preheating of the stone, and I propped the stone up over the gasket level (legs down platesetter) with my BGE drip pan.

Anyways, here are some pics.. 

imageimageimageimage
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• Looks great. I need to try my first pizza soon.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks Tasty

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Lookin' good, bccomstock!  :)
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Looks good, I did my first pizza this week end too. Did mine at 700 degrees, never thought about the 350 option. How did you raise your stone? WHO DAT!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • @Alton, WHO DAT!  I raised the stone with my BGE drip pan underneath it.. You didn't have a platesetter in on yours did you?
    LBGE
  • Alton
    Sure did with the legs up and then my CI Grid!!! Can't wait until next season >:) WHO DAT!!
  • Oh wow.. I never figured I'd be able to get the temp up that high with a platesetter in.. Did you just have it wide open?
    LBGE
  • Alton
    At first to get it to temp I had the bottom wide open and the daisy wheel on but also wide open. It actually got over 700 and then i closed the bottom just a little . I preheated the stone and had the temp stabilized for 20 min before I put the pie on. I actually did 2 pizza and the temps stayed around 700 for the entire cook.
  • How long did it take at 700? 

I need to get one of those paddles eventually..

Also, I'm really looking forward to next season too.. Sean's motivated, and that's bad for the rest of the league.
    LBGE
  • Alton
    Not long, enough time to drink an Abita Turbo Dog. I think the key is to completely clean the egg of ash and make sure all the air holes in the fire box are clear. I filled it with fresh lump all the way to the top of he fire box line. Used two starter bricks and then I set my rig up and let go. Lets hope the D comes around and Graham recoups well from his wrist surgery.
  • Yeah, I wasn't thinking you'd have left the platesetter out until it got up to temp and then put it in.. Doh!

I'll have to try this next time, although I am a little worried about getting a Pampered Chef stone up that hot.. 
    LBGE
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    I finally decided last Saturday night I was going to try to cook pizza on the egg. We made five different gluten free pizzas and they were the best we have ever had. I'm kind of mad at myself that I waited this long to make them. Fast forward 8 days today we decided to go for round two as my inlaws were over so pizza it was. Before we made them I had to go to Walmart for cheese so I decided I would stop in the lawn and garden section to see what they had for feet. I found 2 inch round by 2.5 tall teracotta flower pots for $.24 each. Figured they were worth a try. I heated the grill to 600 and cooked each one for about 10 min. We made two batches of GF dough that turned into seven pizzas for 4 adults and 2 kids. This is what was leftover plus I sent my father inlaw home with a whole pizza.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Also to get the grill to that temp and warm the stones it took about 45 min. Also I started with fresh lump. Set it up PS legs down 4 2 inch pots then pizza stone on top of that.
  • Looks great. I need to try my first pizza soon.
    IMO one of the best things the egg produces, we can even think of paying someone else to make our pie anymore
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Firemanyz said:
    I finally decided last Saturday night I was going to try to cook pizza on the egg. We made five different gluten free pizzas and they were the best we have ever had. I'm kind of mad at myself that I waited this long to make them. Fast forward 8 days today we decided to go for round two as my inlaws were over so pizza it was. Before we made them I had to go to Walmart for cheese so I decided I would stop in the lawn and garden section to see what they had for feet. I found 2 inch round by 2.5 tall teracotta flower pots for $.24 each. Figured they were worth a try. I heated the grill to 600 and cooked each one for about 10 min. We made two batches of GF dough that turned into seven pizzas for 4 adults and 2 kids. This is what was leftover plus I sent my father inlaw home with a whole pizza.
    Looks good, what gf dough recipe did you use?
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like some great pizza! You will find everybody has their own option for pizza setups the trick is to find a height and temp you like. For my setup I do plate setter legs down with the stone on the little green feet that came with my egg. I've had it higher in the dome and like this method the best. 

I usually do pizza parties so I cook the pizzas around 500- 550° where I put on for 5-6 mins, spin it and cook for another 5-6mins. But if your only making one or two sometimes its fun to crank up the heat and cook it fast. Here is a post of a pizza party I did with 13 pizzas in my large BGE. Baker's Dozen Pizza Party Good luck finding the pizza method that works for you! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I do 6 pizzas per hour consistently with my set up.  

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Solson005 said:
    Looks like some great pizza! You will find everybody has their own option for pizza setups the trick is to find a height and temp you like. For my setup I do plate setter legs down with the stone on the little green feet that came with my egg. I've had it higher in the dome and like this method the best. 

I usually do pizza parties so I cook the pizzas around 500- 550° where I put on for 5-6 mins, spin it and cook for another 5-6mins. But if your only making one or two sometimes its fun to crank up the heat and cook it fast. Here is a post of a pizza party I did with 13 pizzas in my large BGE. Baker's Dozen Pizza Party Good luck finding the pizza method that works for you! 
    I have those little feet.. Didn't even think about using them for the stone.. Good idea!
    LBGE
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Nice looking Za's! I do realize the Pampered Chef pizza stone has a reputation of not dealing well with high heat. But you are missing out on the advantage of putting pizza on a preheated screaming hot pizza stone the way you are doing yours. Might be time to try a different brand stone. I've used the BGE stone a couple dozen times now at 600 degrees with no issues.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • jfm0830 said:
    Nice looking Za's! I do realize the Pampered Chef pizza stone has a reputation of not dealing well with high heat. But you are missing out on the advantage of putting pizza on a preheated screaming hot pizza stone the way you are doing yours. Might be time to try a different brand stone. I've used the BGE stone a couple dozen times now at 600 degrees with no issues.
    Thanks, and thanks for the input!  I've been thinking about getting a BGE stone, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I haven't researched pizzas on the BGE much, but what is the preferred method for getting the uncooked pizza onto the preheated stone?  Using a pizza paddle or some other method?
    LBGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    As with everything pizza related there are a million different ways of doing it. The easiest way is to pick up a Super Peel Ceramic Grill Works sells them and lots of great spices and other eggcessories like the Swing Rack for the egg. it makes it to where the pizza can be made ahead of time and doesn't stick to anything. When using a wooden pizza peel you have a limited amount of time before it gets stuck, people use cornmeal or extra flour to help add more time but that really makes it messy to me. Others use pizza screens or even parchment paper and pull it out after a couple of minutes. 

Then I use a metal one to spin the pizza halfway through the cook and take it off

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.