Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to light a BGE

Good afternoon all, I have had my egg for roughly two years and the electric egg starter has run its course. The starter has a short in it, started using a chimney starter but the flying embers can be dangerous with little kids running around. Does anybody have advice/experience with starters or alcohol? Thanks so much on advance

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    There was just a thread on this  - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147816/best-way-to-start-the-egg

I use a Map torch to light the lump - fast and easy.

Garnerville, NY
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I love my Bernzomatic TS8000 using mapp gas.  I can start 8 places in less than a minute and be at 500 degrees in less than 12 minutes.  I have been using the same mapp gass container for 2 months and I start at least one of my eggs every night.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Wow thanks for the quick response What's the fist of a Bernzomatic?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    From Lowes 

BernzOmatic TS8000KC Map-Pro Kit

Not Yet Rated Be the first to Write a Review

Price $54.99

Qty.:

Add to Cart BernzOmatic TS8000KC Map-Pro Kit
    • Item #: 387416
    • Model #: 332497
    • Kit includes TS8000 trigger-start torch and Map-Pro fuel cylinder
    • Ultra swirl high intensity flame for 30% faster soldering time than TS4000
    • Adjustable flame control knob to easily size flame for different applications

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    I have the map torch as well and it is nice, but you do still have to worry about sparks/embers popping while you are lighting.  You can reduce this if you light a bit more gradually. 

Another great approach is the oiled napkins/paper towels.  My map tank just ran dry and I haven't made it by a home depot to get a new one, so the oiled paper towels is a great backup approach and chances are you have oil and some kind of napkins in your house already.   If you are out of paper towels you can use TP.  If you are out of TP...well...you d@mn well should be making a trip to the store anyway! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    +1 on the oiled paper towel. I've used it a lot and it works great. No need for more expensive starting methods.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Weed burner from Harbor Freight.  
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    harbor freight weed burner, mapp torch, or electric starter. All depends on how fast i need it to get hot. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    When I bought my A-maze-n smoker, I got combo package #3. It came with a torch. Tried that tonight for first time. Likely my new method.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Fast or Safe.      Pick one.

I have a mapp torch which is great but you also get a great fireworks show.

Before the mapp torch I used cooking oil and paper towel. I found it to be fairly quick and very safe because I could close the dome until it got up to temp. 

Michael
  • Awesome I really appreciate all of the great advice Have a great night Shane
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

The electric starter is boring but I still think its the best all around way to fire up the lump.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 1,438
    I have the map torch as well and it is nice, but you do still have to worry about sparks/embers popping while you are lighting.  You can reduce this if you light a bit more gradually. 

Another great approach is the oiled napkins/paper towels.  My map tank just ran dry and I haven't made it by a home depot to get a new one, so the oiled paper towels is a great backup approach and chances are you have oil and some kind of napkins in your house already.   If you are out of paper towels you can use TP.  If you are out of TP...well...you d@mn well should be making a trip to the store anyway! 

The Map works great but the paper towels and oil is what I have been using most---
  • Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Used bacon grease on a paper towel works wonders for me!
  • Awesome ideas thanks so much Have a great day.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    If you have power nearby or don't mind running an extension cord a Looftlighter is what I use. I use a propane torch when camping with my small and like the looftlighter better. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Shiff said:
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.

This
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • I use gel alcohol, 91% alcohol on cotton balls, and a MAPP torch. It just depends on my mood which one gets used.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    map torch i have been using this for a few years although like others have said wear safty glasses. i have been using sun glasses and then when my torch is at the right place i shut my eyes. kind of like a welder does some times to tack a weld..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    rickHP said:
    +1 on the oiled paper towel. I've used it a lot and it works great. No need for more expensive starting methods.
    That's my way...but if you have sub-standard lump, it doesn't always work easily.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    molotov cocktail. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thanks so much for the diversified answers what kind of oil do you use on paper towels?
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    +1 on the weed burner good use for the old gassers propane tank.
    Lynnwood WA