Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Newbie with Cyber Q question

I've been Egg'n almost a year now, and am finally doing my first round of pulled pork. I hope it's as foolproof as everyone says because I'll be making it a couple days before I serve it on a boys ice fishing (drinking) trip on the weekend. From everything I've read, when it comes to building the fire I understand start it slow and let it stabilize before putting the butt on. My concern with the Cyber Q is when I put the cold meat on, it'll drop the dome temp substantially. Will this cause my controller to go into overdrive trying to bring the temp back up to 250° resulting in the eventual overshoot? Is there anything I can do to prevent the fire getting too hot, or do I just trust the unit?
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Another question ... Should I cook and pull that night, or FTC, let it cool, reheat just before serving and pull then?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Sounds like a plan anyway you do it. Where are we fishing?

But seriously folks best thing to do is cook, rest, pull and vac seal. Reheat in the bags in simmering water

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2013
    Clip the pit probe on the grate and let the cyber q work its magic. It won't overshoot it if it had already been stable for 10 mins or so.  Just make sure that it has stabilized with the cyber q before putting it on (to know how open to leave the petals on the dmft) and try not to lift the lid till it gets close. I have a digiQ so it is very similar, both devices have open lid detection and will get you to your desired temp within 3°. The dome temp drops more when adding big chunks of meat but the cyber Q has a better thermometer and doesn't change as much when attached to the grate. 

Pulled pork is great the next day so it might be easier to pull while it is warm and just heat it up. Something like brisket I would try and time to where you had it ready a couple hours before and put it in a cooler FTC till you got there. You don't need to FTC if your going to wait a day and reheat it. Last one I did this with the leftovers. Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Greeno55
    edited January 2013
    Thanks Solson!! That butt looks great. Looking forward to giving this a go. i think it'll be the first of many. On the fan, do you leave the damper wide open, or close it half way?
  • Solson005
    Thanks, those were our best ones yet! I have the pit viper fan and I use it wide open, never have really tried closing it down, I forget it has adjustments too. I think it is a pretty good size for the large egg, I might dial it down next time I use it with my small egg.

Take pics and document your methods so you know how to duplicate it or adjust it slightly for the future. This forum is a great way to keep track.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Greeno55
    One more question. When do you all put your plate setter or adjustable rig in? Do you let the temp settle first then add it in and let it warm the stone and creep back up to temp, or put it in right away? Does it matter?
  • Solson005
    For me I put the platesetter in once I know the fire is going to stay lit. That way the platesetter can come up to temp with the egg. I'm sure everyone has their own method but that works pretty good for me.