Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your preference for raising the grid?

Did you make a homemade rig or go with one for the CGS (Adjustable Rig or Woo) or something else? New egg owner and seeing now how this would be helpful and curious what the consensus is. Thanks.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    beeen cooking with an extra weber grid, cheap at homedepot, and some firebrick splits for about 10 years now for raised grid direct and indirect. i have a rig as well, both do a descent job. its all about spending money and how much you want to spend. my rig is at home and the bricks at camp, the rig is nicer but the brick setup works well too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173

+1 with fishlessman-start with the grid and fire bricks. As you gain experience with your cooks you can then decide to spend the big $$ on all the after-market gear.  You can also use the bricks as a heat deflector so now you have an indirect setup as long as you have two grids. the after-market stuff will be there should you choose to go that way-no hurry.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth

:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2013
    I have a woo for my small BGE and have not cooked without it. For my large I use 3 half pieces of firebricks on the fire ring that way I can use my two-tier swing grate. I think its the best of both worlds from two great Eggcessory Stores. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I've never been able to track down the thread that I copied, but essentially it involved an extra grid, four carriage bolts, and several nuts and washers.  I just took the one from my Weber Little Smokey, and rigged up the same setup.  The beauty of it is that it's adjustable, just by unscrewing the nuts a bit, you can raise and lower the grid to whatever height you want.  It's not the most stable platform, but for about 5 bucks in hardware, you can tinker around with different cooking levels.  I like it because it nearly doubles the cooking surface.  I'll probably end up getting a Woo down the road, but it was nice to see the benefit of a raised grid for dirt cheap.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Have two of these and value them with the most important items of the Egg.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Thanks for the replies - keep 'em coming! I love this forum...

Mickey - That is the Adjustable Rig - correct? I do like the concept, but doesn't that make the plate setter useless? I hate that I have that (i.e. spent money on it) and then wouldn't use it! Correct me if I am wrong on that one.

I think I saw the instructions for the DIY with u-bolts, will need to look to see if I can find that again.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Yes the plate setter will be useless afterwards.  I have one for sale if anyone wants one. 

The adjustable rig gives so many options.

Garnerville, NY
  • Solson005
    Here is one method with using bolts, also a great website as well as this forum to find all sorts of tips and new things to cook! Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooker FAQs
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I just use three firebricks... cheap, dependable, easy.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use the adjustable rig at least 3 times per week but still use my platesetter when I'm running both eggs indirect.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    @solson05 Yep, that's the one!  However, instead of setting the bolts down on the fire ring, I have mine rigged to rest on the grid below.  It's a way to have two cooking surfaces, and I can use either for direct or indirect cooks.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• I need some input from you egg users.  I did some short ribs yesterday and this is how it did them. Covered them with ev olive oil, used a liberal amount of seasoning salt (my own concoction) and garlic powder, 1/4 cup water and Bone Sucking Sauce.  Sealed all of this in alum. foil and put on 220 degree fire to cook with indirect heat low and slow.  Because of some problems, we did not eat when planned and they were taken off the grill with an internal temp of 190 degrees. The alum foil had retained all the liquid so they were not dry but the were tough, but, tasty.  I had hoped they would be tender.  What did I do wrong?  Belle's Dad
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    edited January 2013
    @dlk7 so you have the adjustable rig but not the oval stone for the rig? Or do you also have the oval stone and use that for something as well?

@solson05 that is the one I saw as well. Thanks for the reminder!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have the oval stone and the adjustable rig.  I have two XLs so when I'm cooking indirect on both, I need the plate setter for one of them.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Why put them on egg if sealed in aluminum foil the whole time?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    I need some input from you egg users.  I did some short ribs yesterday and this is how it did them. Covered them with ev olive oil, used a liberal amount of seasoning salt (my own concoction) and garlic powder, 1/4 cup water and Bone Sucking Sauce.  Sealed all of this in alum. foil and put on 220 degree fire to cook with indirect heat low and slow.  Because of some problems, we did not eat when planned and they were taken off the grill with an internal temp of 190 degrees. The alum foil had retained all the liquid so they were not dry but the were tough, but, tasty.  I had hoped they would be tender.  What did I do wrong?  Belle's Dad
    if thats 220 dome its too low of a temp. also beef internals are higher than pork for tenderness, needed to be cooked to a higher internal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Solson005 said:
    I have a woo for my small BGE and have not cooked without it. For my large I use 3 half pieces of firebricks on the fire ring that way I can use my two-tier swing grate. I think its the best of both worlds from two great Eggcessory Stores. 

@Solson005 have you ever done two pizzas at the same time with that rig??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Solson005
    Funny you should ask @smokesniffer I just got done making dough for some tonight! I will post a picture here or create a new post. I like to start it on the bottom and finish it on the top higher on the dome. So it's more of a rotation than just putting two on at the same time, I only have one large stone and a smaller one for my small egg so I go without a stone to finish on the top tier.
  • I use the adjustable rig to get high in the dome on my large.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I use the adjustable rig on 95% of my cooks. Only time I use plate setter now is with pizza. Just added a medium to the family so debating if some tax money will go to a raised setup for that.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I need some input from you egg users.  I did some short ribs yesterday and this is how it did them. Covered them with ev olive oil, used a liberal amount of seasoning salt (my own concoction) and garlic powder, 1/4 cup water and Bone Sucking Sauce.  Sealed all of this in alum. foil and put on 220 degree fire to cook with indirect heat low and slow.  Because of some problems, we did not eat when planned and they were taken off the grill with an internal temp of 190 degrees. The alum foil had retained all the liquid so they were not dry but the were tough, but, tasty.  I had hoped they would be tender.  What did I do wrong?  Belle's Dad
    if thats 220 dome its too low of a temp. also beef internals are higher than pork for tenderness, needed to be cooked to a higher internal
    That and if they were in foil the whole time they would be SOAS

Steve 

Caledon, ON