Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trials and tribulations of first pork loin .

Larrymac
Larrymac Posts: 103
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Rookie mistake-- I could tell target temp was arriving far too early and tried to put breaks on. I still had to pull an hour early. Foiled and put in a cooler. But unfortunately , guests arrived late so we didn't serve until it had actually been pulled 2 hours earlier.
It was tasty, tender but a little closer to medium well than medium for my taste. Mac and cheese, green beans, fried apples and biscuits joined the loin for dinner.
In the future, if that happens what can you do to prevent the loin from overheating while resting yet still keeping it warm and juicy?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I go with the turbo cooking on butts, whole lot easier, finishing time is more accurate and i believe juicier!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    After a few scenarios of that happening to me, I have started planning to pull food from egg about 30 minutes after I tell guests to get here. If they are early or on time, they can booze or hang out by egg. If late then food done around time they get here. I am sure it was still good. Hard to go wrong with pork loin.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I think lots of us have been in this situation. Hard to hold temp on meat without overcooking. The theory is to match heat source temp with the target meat temp. I know it's happened to me. Meat going quickly and guest arrive late. You can lower cook temp way down during cook if you know that your early, but the arrival time issue? I like the idea above of a social hour to give you some play.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Back when i first started cooking on my egg, i quickly realized that cooking "low and slow" could vary five or six hours.  One butt might take 16 hours and the next one,same size, would get stalled in the platue and take 21 hours!!!???   The turbo method gives me a plus or minus one hour finish time, and then i have kept the finished pork "ready for pulling" in a cooler for up to 5 hours.  And not loosing any moisture, just open up the foil and shred it, like it just came off the Egg.