Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare rib rub?

What do you use? Looking for good rub - preferably store bought.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Butt rub or dizzy dust
  • I am a huge fan of Hogs in Heat
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    +1 for Dizzy Dust, but you can make some yourself as there a several great recipe options. Do you have any of Steven Raichlen's books? Great resource for all things BBQ.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I am not a big fan of Dizzy Dust - to salty in my opinion.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    John Henry's pecan rub if you want a sweeter rib or The Salt Lick rubs if you want a less sweet with some heat..
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    john henry's chipotle apple is a good one for a sweet spice.  most common (think most large grocery store) store bought that I don't mind is actually famous daves rib rub.  
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Not gonna lie, I use store bought a lot , but the best pork rubs I have used have been home mixed with a base of pepper and raw turbinado sugar
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    IrishDevl said:
    I am not a big fan of Dizzy Dust - to salty in my opinion.
    Never thought DD was too salty, but they do make a salt free Dizzy Dust.  I know because I picked one up by mistake.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Obie Que's sweet and heat with smoken guns hot. Works for me.
  • My favorite store bought concoction is a layer of DP Jamaican Firewalk and a layer of Bone Suckin rub.I love the jerk undertone of the firewalk together with the classic bbq flavor of the bone suckin rub.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    I like John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    John Henry's Hot Pecan Rub.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    After many trials of different store bought rubs, my current fav is a mix Smokin' Guns Hot and Dizzy Dust. Tried some homemade rubs a couple of times, but to be honest did not put too much effort into perfecting my own.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited January 2013
    Oakridge's Secret Weapon
  • I have always purchased my spices in bulk and I make my own rubs.  Most of the store bought rubs are too salty or contain additives I cannot pronounce or that I am leery of.  I mix by weight and make adjustments by percentage.  I have been doing it so long now that I hardly need my recipe lists to make my favorite rubs or marinades.  Buy a scale that measures in grams, it will change the way you make stuff if you use common sense. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I have always purchased my spices in bulk and I make my own rubs.  Most of the store bought rubs are too salty or contain additives I cannot pronounce or that I am leery of.  I mix by weight and make adjustments by percentage.  I have been doing it so long now that I hardly need my recipe lists to make my favorite rubs or marinades.  Buy a scale that measures in grams, it will change the way you make stuff if you use common sense. 

I agree with Sam. It's really not that hard to make up your own. You can then adjust to your own taste. By just reading the previous posts what's too salty for one isn't for another, same goes for sweet and hot. Emiril and Steven Raichlen have cookbooks with some pretty good rubs but like any recipe I just use that as a guideline and make it to suit my taste. When I've got  it to where Ilike it I'll make a good size batch, put it an empty spice container and keep it in the fridge. That way I'm ready to cook without it being an ordeal. Have fun with it and good luck.

Tim in SoCal

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Since you specifically mentioned store-bought, I can vouch for Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom or Oakridge Competition rub. Both have no additives. I would also make my own, but that is for another thread.