Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - 11.5 pounds Bone-In Picnic Shoulder Roast

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,669
edited January 2013 in Pork

I've never done pulled pork with a picnic shoulder roast before, I hope it turns out good!

Removed the skin and sprinkled the roast with Dizzy Dust.

On the Egg @ 250F since 9h30PM tonight.

-22C (-8F) outside tonight, feels like -27C (-17F) - Not sure if my Maverick wireless thermometer would have been able to survive under such a low temperature so i am just going to trust the egg.  Cleaned it and then filled it with lump up to the top of the fire ring with some bigger pieces at the bottom.  Hopefully the fire will still be going strong tomorrow morning!

What do you guys do with the skin?  I cut it in strips and layered it (fat side down) in the drip pan hoping that it will turn into something good.

imageimageimage

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks good going in. Good luck with the temps. Sounds like you've been stable for a while so the Egg should handle it overnight.never did anything with the skin. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Fry the stips of skin for cracklins!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Looks good from here. Did you use the regular Dizzy Dust or the coarse grind?

Nice Rajnikant profile pic!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    Tjcoley said:
    Looks good going in. Good luck with the temps. Sounds like you've been stable for a while so the Egg should handle it overnight.never did anything with the skin. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I woke up in the middle of the night and there was some smoke comming out of the egg so I went back to sleep.  This morning, the dome temp was @ 300F.  I took the temperature in a few spots and it varies between 175 and 190 and the bone seems to be loose.  I guess we'll have pulled pork for lunch instead of diner! :D

The drippings are covering the strips of skin in the drip pan but the skin is soft and not crispy.  Not sure how it will turn out...

Fry the stips of skin for cracklins!

Would you fry in a pan or deep fry?

Right now, the strips of skin are layered in the drip pan under the drippings.  I was hoping that they would be crispy this morning but they are soft.  Plan "B" is to raise the temperature at the end of the cook (while pulling the pork) to fry the skin in the drippings.  Has anyone done that before?  Is it a good/bad idea?

caliking said:
    Looks good from here. Did you use the regular Dizzy Dust or the coarse grind? Nice Rajnikant profile pic!

I used a mixture of regular, salt free and coarse grind.

@caliking This forum is the last place on earth I would have expected to find another fan of Rajinikanth (if you know him, you must be a fan).  I spent some time in India (Chennai) back in 2007, Sivaji was comming out in movie theaters and "Style" was playing non stop on every radio channel and in every public places...  I did not understand the buzz but some friends invited me to go see the movie on the first day it was released; the experience was ethereal, people went crazy when they've seen Rajinikanth comming down on the escalator... I have yet to find a version of Enthiran with english subtitles...  How come you know him?

well, it seems like I can't post pics anymore...

paqman said:
    caliking said:
    Looks good from here. Did you use the regular Dizzy Dust or the coarse grind? Nice Rajnikant profile pic!

I used a mixture of regular, salt free and coarse grind.

@caliking This forum is the last place on earth I would have expected to find another fan of Rajinikanth (if you know him, you must be a fan).  I spent some time in India (Chennai) back in 2007, Sivaji was comming out in movie theaters and "Style" was playing non stop on every radio channel and in every public places...  I did not understand the buzz but some friends invited me to go see the movie on the first day it was released; the experience was ethereal, people went crazy when they've seen Rajinikanth comming down on the escalator... I have yet to find a version of Enthiran with english subtitles...  How come you know him?

Deep down inside all of us... there is a Rajnikant fan waiting to bust out! :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman

Served on buns with maple syrup caramelized onions, vinegar thin sauce and french fries:

5.JPG 2.6M

At 9h40AM, after 12 hours on the egg:

2.JPG 2.9M

The skin did not end up so good, I will not do that again:

4.JPG 3.5M