Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maiden Voyage - pic heavy

I've been lurking these forums for about a month now. Long story short, the SWMBO was going to take me to Daytona this year for my 40th (dinner with the drivers, pit passes, etc) but logistics with the kids just wouldn't make. When she broke the news to me, I was a little bummed. She offered several ideas but, suddenly, I was struck with a fit of genius - I wanted an egg! So, she bought me an egg for my 40th birthday (which is in three weeks) and it was delivered today. Plan is to learn how to use the thing and then cook a pork shoulder and some ribs for a party. You gotta start somewhere so I started with spatchcock chickens. I've been cooking on a Weber kettle for 20 years and these were the best chickens I've managed. Tomorrow we're doing ribs. We prefer ribs with a little bite - just enough to pull from the bone, but not fall off when you pick them up. Any suggestions for cooking strategies? My plan is raised grid at 250 in a rib rack until they're pulled back from the bone. Is there a better approach with the egg?

A little background - SWMBO is from New Orleans (her dad from Lafayette and her mom New Iberia. I'm from Powder Springs, GA - life long native of metro Atlanta (mother is a Marietta native generations back and dad is a yankee dairy farmer from up-state New York).

imageimageimage

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited January 2013
    Welcome, boy that is one virginal looking Egg

Looks like you hit the ground running!
    :)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• @Chacahoula_Tiger - yeah, photography is something I fell into out of necessity, but have grown to love. I mostly shoot industrial - I got into large manufacturing facilities and make them look pretty. Which is much easier than shooting people - machines don't require chit-chat. ;)

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Grants and welcome. I was a lurker for a few weeks then bought based on what I saw here and other sites.
    Seattle, WA
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Welcome. That's the way I like my ribs as well. Tough to beat Car Wash Mike's method. Always come out perfect. He doesn't foil, and therefore you get that tender rib with a bit of bite.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.ca/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html?m=1
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • @Greeno55 - just what I'm looking for, thanks!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Something tells me you know something about photography......
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing.
  • Welcome!! You'll wonder why you didn't get an egg ages ago. Wait till you make pizza on it- amazing!!!
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    Welcome!  You should think I about sealing that table if you want it to last.  Maybe a spar urethane . . .
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371

Welcome to the forum and congradulations on the Egg.  I like your DIY raised food grate set up with the threaded rod, washers, and nuts.  One of the best parts about the Egg is the ability to BBQ and smoke in the cold weather.  It's always summer time when you have an Egg. 

It's also amazing what a good off-camera strobe will do for the quality of the photos, in addition to some pro-quality glass for the camera.  Thanks for sharing.

Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • @Badong - yes, indeed. The delivery of the table and the egg didn't go as planned. On top of getting everything at once I didn't have anything to set the egg on in the table. The wife went to another dealer and grabbed the table nest for me. With a 2x4 and just a little cursing, I was able to get the egg in the table nest.

My dad is coming to visit in a few weeks, so I'm going to get him to help me lift it out of the table and get everything sealed properly. I have a can of Helmsman in the basement just for this task. Was going to stain it the same color as deck, but SWMBO prefers the natural color. So that's what we'll do. ;)

• Thanks, everyone, for the welcome. I'm really looking forward to using this thing more. Was on the phone with father-in-law (who has an egg) this morning talking about the chicken from last night. He wants to give it try.

@brianwdmn - I saw the DIY raised grid at the Naked Whiz. Figured I'd wait a while before getting too many accessories. Got a Thermopen, had a Maverick for the Weber kettle. I know I want a stoker of some sort. I am looking forward to smoking in the cold without being in the cold as much. Re the strobes - I chase my kids around the yard with that beauty dish, strobe, power pack on a stand in my left hand and a camera in my right. That's my cardio routine and it works well - keeps the wife/grandparents in photos and gets my heart rate up.