Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What year is my egg ??

quacker
quacker Posts: 10
edited January 2013 in Forum Feedback
Hi guys,
I purchased this egg secondhand and am wondering what year it is from ??  The reason I ask is can spring assisted bands be purchased for this egg??
The other issue I have is that support for the green egg here in Australia seems to be lacking, which is a huge shame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I believe you can replace every part of the Egg with new parts and they all should fit. I would call the main office if you can't find a dealer.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Approaching 15 years. The fire grate in your firebox is it the original ceramic one or cast iron? My first egg was a small that was given to me and its from the same era as yours where they aren't really glazed like the new ones and they are a different lighter green color. Mine had the original ceramic fire grate in the firebox and from what I was told it had been over 10 years since they made the ceramic grate and that was years ago. The new spring band fit my small fine and a buddy of mine has the same old one in a large and his is the same size as new larges so you should be fine.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It's over 15 years by a bit. My first was 16 years ago. There seems to be a lever missing on the dome on yours. It's ceramic so you are fine with parts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• quacker
    edited January 2013
    Thanks guys, yes it has the original ceramic fire grate. (New one on order) This is a large size, sitting on a standard Kamado trolley.  Not sure on what you mean on a lever missing??  it has two locking arms that hold the egg open (one each side), just cant see them in the picture.

edit - here is another pic

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

Quacker,

Even though the metal parts seem a little rusted, it looks like you got a pretty pristine unit from what I can see in the pics. The ceramic grate will go first, they eventually crack. Good idea to upgrade to cast iron but it will cook fine with the ceramic grate. To answer your question the spring assist hinge will fit and the hinge is a nice convenience but you can cook on what you have for many years without changing a thing on it.

Tim in SoCal

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • quacker
    Good to know, I have cooked in it a few times and love it.  Just lazy as I have once not locked it in place correctly and it nearly closed on me lol.  Everything was in good condition, I will most likely give the handle a rub back and varnish.  
    Its just sad that it's so hard to find bits here in Oz.
  • Your looks to be same as mine you can tell by those locking arms. I bought mine in 1997. Yes you can replace all parts with parts made today. My arms rusted and rotted off so i put on new bands I've replaced insides 3 times. I can't count how many felt replacements I've done And before they made the switch to the cast iron bottom to fire box ive used 4 or so clay pieces to brass plumbing pool parts. Replaced the fire door with stainless. I replace the grid every year. Yours looks like its in super nice condition for age. Happens over time I don't baby mine it sits outside uncovered and has pretty much since day one. Super good find.
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Man, I really dig pics of old BGEs..  Thanks for sharing!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Managed to find some parts from a dealer in New Zealand. Great prices too.